Submission Six: Secrets of The Egyptian Night

Well, well, well. Long time no update. I'm happy to say that after a long hiatus, X Factor is back, though we're down to 5 people! That means there's only two more submissions until the final! I hope I make it xD

The theme of the week is Historical Fiction. It's a hard one, but I do have an idea for it that I hope you enjoy!

Hoping it's enough to put me through to the semi finals, here is my newest submission!

~Secrets of The Egyptian Night~

Egypt; the country with the ancient, historic heart. There in the midst of power, war, art, beauty, and evolution, began a spark of love unlike any of its predecessors. It was passion in the nights of Egypt, that turned into a raging inferno of love talked about until this very day. And it all began with a girl and a boy.

He stood at the edge of the fierce Nile River like he did every night. He looked over to the other side. It was pitch black in darkness. Eventhough he'd gone to the river every night for the past month, the hollow darkness still sent chiils down his spine.

His smile could send beams of illuminating light throught the darkness. Like the moon, it was a little piece of magic that came every night. At least, that's how Mirvat felt. He was her moon, he was her magic in the world.

Like every night, she stood on her side of the river, flashlight in hand. She elevated her hand and lit the lantern like she did every night. It lit the path for Samy to cross over. And so he did. The current was wickedly strong, but thanks to the fact that he was an excellent swimmer, and that the light coming from the lantern helped him see, his task became easier.

"Finally," said Mirvat, kissing Samy's trembling lips. They'd turned a rare, violet colour because of the ice-cold water. His face was smooth and newly-shaved. Mirvat's hand slid off his wet cheek as soon as it touched his face.

"Come on," she told him.

"Where are we going t-tonight?" he asked her, rubbing his arms.

"To the Sacred Hut," said Mirvat.

"The Sacred Hut? Mirvat, we can't. That's not for people like...me," he said, pausing before the last word.

"What?" she scoffed. "Then what are you doing with me?"

"I'm...I'm." He bit his lip, not knowing what to say.

"I thought so. Well, come on, it's empty tonight. They're all in the Central Pyramid for uncle's mummification."

"And you're not there because?"

"I'm terribly sick," she said, putting a hand on her forehead with a fake, overwhelming sigh.

Samy smiled, then planted a kiss on her rosey lips. Breaking it off, he continued to look into her beautiful, hazel eyes. She'd inherited her mother's eyes, in addition to her charcoal-black hair. It is then when he started to realize how lucky he actually was. There he was, a mere peasant from the Left Side of The Nile kissing the Pharaoh's daughter. It was a love between members of different classes higher powers frowned upon and faught over; it was forbidden.

"What?" she laughed.

"Nothing," he said simply. "I love you."

"I love you too, Samy."

She lead him into the Sacred Hut, which was, like she said, empty. It was lit by the flames of lanterns all over. The walls were all covered in devine hierogliphics. Being a peasant, he was never taught the sacred, Egyptian language. Peasants were allowed to work in fields as worksmen, extractors of Papyrus, or even as slaves. Education was never an option for a peasant.