Chapter 15

We arrive at the doctor's. I don't know how many months pregnant I am, I just know I am. The doctor gives me a friendly smile and brings me back. "Okay, I'm going to do a blood test first." My eyes widen at the mention of the needle.

I feel Frank wrap his arm around my shoulder, being careful to not hurt my left shoulder. I feel the pinch of the needle and he begins talking to me. "Does your dad know yet?" I shake my head. "I want to keep it from him as long as possible. You know his band is going back on tour and I don't want him to know if it's going to happen while he's on tour because I don't want him to cancel it."

"Oh, okay. What are you thinking about naming them? Like, top 3 name choices?" "Arcelia, Alondra, or Elena for a girl and Benjamin, Michael, or Anthony for a boy." I feel the doctor take the needle out and put a bandage on my elbow. I put my sling back on.

She hands me a cup and a wipe. "I need to do a urine sample." I nod. After that is over, it's time for the ultrasound. I watch her scan. "Congratulations, you are having triplets. Do you want to know their genders?" I nod. "Two little boys and a girl." I have a small smile. "It appears you are in your 32nd week of pregnancy. Your bump is small, even for a single baby. We're looking at what is very likely going to be underweight babies.

I would recommend you get a nasogastric tube to increase your weight gain so you and the babies can get to a healthier weight. Typically, triplets are born at 37 weeks so the best case scenario is to hope that you can gain 25 pounds or more in those 5 weeks. I would like to give you a Tdap vaccine, they are standard during pregnancy." I nod.

A few minutes later, she gives one to me. "Okay, so here is what we are looking at to try and increase your weight. Through the blood test, we actually discovered you have Type 1 Diabetes which means we'll be monitoring you even more carefully." I nod.

"Do you want copies of your ultrasound photo?" I nod. "Is 27 too many to ask for?" She laughs and shakes her head. She hands me a bag. "Here you go, here is everything you will need." Frank and I leave. "When does your dad's tour start?" "Tomorrow?" He laughs.

"C'mon, you should tell him today that you are having a baby. He can't cancel it now." We get home. I'm only wearing a tank top this time. I see Mom's eyes light up. "Mama, Papa, I have something to tell and show you." I hand the paper to Dad.

He looks at it. "How far along? How many?" "32 weeks with triplets." Mom's eyes immediately fill with worry. "You're really small for that." "The doctor said I'm extremely underweight and that I should probably get a nasogastric tube to try and increase my weight more." Tony nods. "I'll call Mama Preciado."

"Okay, I'll be back in about 10 minutes. I have some notes to deliver." I go about to every house and tell them all about how I am pregnant. They are practically all my family and they are overjoyed to have new babies on the way. I get back to my house and see Jordan.

I kneel down next to her. "Jordan, I'm pregnant, I'm going to be having more babies." I see tears start to fill her eyes. "B-But you are gonna love them more than me because they are your own." "I'm not, my love is multiplying, not dividing. You'll have an even amount they will."

Jamia comes over. "Rachel, you are not the only one who is expecting. I have a daughter due in 7 weeks exactly." I smile. "7 weeks? That's Gerard's birthday." She nods. I think she notices how upset Jordan is.

"Hey, honey, do you want to talk to Cherry, Lily, and Miles? I know you've been an only child, they can reassure you that they love is even." Jordan nods and walks off towards their house. I've never seen her so upset.

"Jamia, I didn't think she would be upset." "Change is scary. She's grown up as an only child, the thought of her having another sibling is going to terrify her. She'll be okay, she's going to be upset and jealous, but she'll learn that your love for her won't change."

"Do you think it would be better for her if I ask Dad to adopt her so she is my sister rather than my daughter?" "You should discuss that with your parents and her." I nod. I go inside with her. "Mama, Papa, I want to talk to you." They both look to me.

"Jordan is really upset that I'm having babies. I wanted to run it by you guys before asking her, but if she wants to, would you guys be willing to adopt her so she is my sibling rather than daughter?" "Sure!"

I see Jordan come in. She cuddles into me. "Jordan, I know you are scared about having more siblings. Would it make you feel better to be my sister rather than my daughter and so you only have one sibling that is older?" She looks at me and nods.

"C'mon, we'll go to the court house." I sign Jordan's custody over to Dad. She hugs me. "I like you better as a sister than a mom." "Mama, Papa, I need to go home now to rest. You guys can have some bonding time." They nod and I get back home.

Mama Preciado is just arriving. "Hey honey, your dad wanted me to give you a nasogastric tube." I nod. "The doctor wanted me to gain a lot more weight before I give birth." She smiles. "Congratulations, by the way. Having kids is a lot of work, but completely worth it. How did Jordan take it?"

"Not well. I ended up asking her what she wanted to do and Mama and Papa adopted her so she is my sister now." "Honey, I'm gonna remind you this is uncomfortable. If you need me to stop, tap my arm." I nod. She begins putting it and continues talking.

"I bet it would've been especially hard for her since she had been the only child for nearly 10 years." We sit in silence as she finishes putting it in. "This is going to be done at a higher rate than normal and I want you to stay in bed as much as you can in the next few weeks. We want to try and maximize your weight gain."

I nod. "I'm going to be staying here so I could change the bags as needed." I nod and cuddle into my blankets. I'm exhausted. "You look tired, sleep if you need to." I nod and close my eyes.

I feel a kick. I open them again and place my hand down on my stomach. "One of them is kicking." She smiles. "I'm going to go out to get some things for you. I'll be back within an hour." I nod and she leaves. I close my eyes and let myself fall asleep.