(Chapter 15)

Ͼ Ella Castillo Ͽ

“Madame Emily? Master Ash just called.”

“What?” she asked, pulling at the strings on the back of my corset. I gasped, as all the air was pushed out of my lungs. My hairdresser pulled the iron thingy away from my hair, and my hair unraveled, my wavy ebony hair transforming into curls.

“Ash?” I choked, my eyes watering. “Ash just called?”

Lady Emily pulled at my corset again, and I cried out in pain. She ignored this. Sadistic woman. My makeup artist dabbed more eyeshadow onto my eye, and my hairdresser had to press me against my chair to stop me from thrashing around in agony.

“What did he want to say?” Lady Emily asked, as I gasped, trying to breath.

“He did not say terribly much, Lady Emily. He just asked for Ella’s whereabouts.”

“Gabriella,” Lady Emily corrected, snapping. She adjusted a strand of my hair. “Tell him we will meet in the Debutante Ball,” she said, dismissively. Her manservant bowed low, and walked away.

“Done,” Lady Emily pronounced.

As always, I was surprised. I looked into the antique mirror, my make-up artist and hairdresser surrounding me, and I couldn’t help gasping. I’d been completely transformed. The bronzed tone to my skin, and thick eye-makeup made me look almost Egyptian.

“Now, Gabriella,” she said, sternly. “You will do as you promised, will you not?”

“But –”

“Gabriella.”

“Fine,” I groaned, giving in. “But can I just have one last one?” For a second, an almost sympathetic look crossed her face. It must’ve been some kind of Botox malfunction, because her face went back to normal almost a split-second later.

“No. I cannot feed your addiction. Lollipops are made up of sugar. It is terrible for your teeth, and will give you spots. Now, you shall don your ring.”

I glared at her, but backed down when she glared back at me. Damn, she was scary. Reluctantly, I pulled the stupid rock out of the little bag I kept it in, tied around my neck. Slowly, I slid on the cold platinum ring that proclaimed me Ash’s.

“Now, Gabriella, you may tell me, what brand is the dress you are currently exhibiting?”

“Uh…” I said, staring at my mirror, examining the beautiful, elegant ball gown. I ran my fingers through the corset, feeling the sewn decorations along the edge. I stared at the ruffled A-Line skirt. “It is in the style of Dior, but has not appeared in this season’s collection yet.”

My voice was such dull monotone, it sounded almost textbook. That’s what spending a week with Lady Emily does to you.

“Well done,” she said, briskly. “You are quite right. It has not appeared in this season’s collection, because it has been especially designed for you. Mr. Castillo ordered it himself.”

I blinked. “Wow…Ash really got me this dress? That’s…” I’ve never gotten a present from anyone before – well, apart from my parents, but do they really count?

“A husband’s duty,” Lady Emily finished.

“Yeah…I get so.”

But I couldn’t help smiling. Just a little.

***

ῼ Ash Castillo ῼ

“Wow…” James said, gaping. He was the heir to S.T.H Corporation. “Who’s that?”