Part 2 - Chapter 10

Elle's POV

Ever since Noah mentioned Tuppen's party yesterday, I had been looking forward to seeing old friends from school.  Some I follow on social media, but I lost touch with so many.  Walking into Tuppen's yard, there were a dozen or so people hanging out, it was pretty low key.  Not at all like the parties we used to go to in high school.  It appeared to be mostly guys Noah had played football with, not many from my crowd.  Tuppen came over right away, shaking Noah's hand and giving me a hug, as he said, "Hey, I'm glad you two could make it.  It's really good to see you guys!" 

We talked to Tuppen for a while before Noah went to get us drinks.  It seemed to take Noah forever, he kept getting stopped by the guys from his football team on his way there. Noah had been even worse than I had been about keeping up with the high school crowd, so I'm sure he hadn't seen most of these guys since they graduated. Tuppen and I made small talk while waiting for Noah to come back, when another guy walked in, making his way over to us, and started talking to Tuppen.  "Hey, man, what's up?"  He said, as the two of them shook hands. 

"Hey, bud–" Tuppen started before someone standing across the lawn by the grill started yelling his name.  "Sorry, I better go help them with that before they break something.  I'll let you guys catch up."  He yelled to both of us as he was already on his way across the yard.

The mystery guy and I both did a double take looking at each other, trying to figure out who the other one was.  Must be from school, if Tuppen thought we knew each other.  I suppose he does look familiar.  After a second, he smiled and put an arm around me, his hand landing a little too low on my back for my comfort, "Elle!" he exclaimed with a smirk. 

The arm thing did it for me, suddenly his name popped into my head.  "Hey, Jason, good to see you."  Jason Eaton always had been a little handsy, at least in the beginning of the year when we had Biology together.  He was such a big flirt and always talking to me, then he suddenly stopped all that in the middle of the year.  I had no idea why until years later when Noah finally told me that he had beaten him up and told him to stay away from me.

"You're looking good, Elle.  Long time no see.  Where are you these days?"

I extricated myself from under Jason's arm, looking around for Noah, as I answered, "I'm living in Chicago right now, but getting ready to move back to LA."

"Really?  Well, if you ever need someone to hang out with when you're back in LA, give me a call."  My first thought was, does this guy not even look for a wedding ring before he tries to pick someone up?  Then, I remembered I'd had to ditch my ring before we came today.  Something about the combination of the flight, the heat in LA, and my pregnancy had caused my fingers to swell and I had taken my ring off before we left the house. Looks like Noah is finally starting to make his way back to us and I am ready for him to save me from this guy who doesn't appear to have changed since high school.  Then before he made it much closer, he was stopped by someone else he was walking by. 

Jason noticed him about the same time.  "Wow, Noah Flynn, it's been a minute since I've seen him.  It's crazy that you guys both showed up here, is that a little awkward for you to see him again?"  I looked at Jason confused as he continued, "I mean everyone was always surprised when you guys dated in high school, but I heard from Tuppen that Little Flynn told him you guys had a bad break-up." 

I didn't respond as Jason and I continued to watch Noah.  Finally, Noah looked over at us and I noticed his eyebrow furrowed, I could guess that he was trying to figure out who I was talking to.  There was just enough of a frown on his face to show that he knew I was standing here by myself talking to another guy, but not enough of a frown to show that he knows who I'm talking to, yet.