Chapter 42

Felix was on his third week of recovery. The bruises had healed and the only evidence of the beating was the small ring of yellow around his eyes that was easy to cover up. The following week, he started to ditch the foundation and only wore concealer. Thursday was the first time since the incident that his freckles were visible!

Felix still couldn't do strenuous activity for another three weeks, but just seeing his freckles and contagious smile was enough for Hyunjin. Any progress was good progress. And for now, he seemed happy. Hyunjin hoped it would stay that way.

He wasn't sure what he was worried about, Chan kept Felix busy and used every practical distraction to make sure he stayed off his feet and smiled as much as possible. They had played an inordinate amount of video games, learned how to make a robot, made brownies, and Chan was even trying to teach Felix how to rap. Felix was in good hands.

However, Hyunjin wasn't sure if those hands could stop Felix from dancing tomorrow night. Felix had bounced the entirety of their choral concert and Hyunjin couldn't fathom trying to keep him still if music played at this party. And Chan was the king of music. There had to be music. And Minho would be there. He was bound to dance. Jisung would join him and then it would be downhill from there.

Felix the pegasus would not be able to resist that.

He was hard enough to tie down before, and now that he felt better, who knows what he would try! He might dance just because he was getting wings! Correction: he already had the wings, but Chan wouldn't let him touch them because he was worried Felix would get too excited and mess them up before the party. Which was very possible considering he hadn't shut up about them in the last three days.

Hyunjin had complained about it to Jeongin, but all he got back was an enthusiastic desire to join the whole ordeal. So now not only was Jeongin coming to the party, but he was also dressing up as Winnie the Pooh and stashing candy in his honey pot. Chan had immediately agreed much to Hyunjin's dismay, so now he would be forced to go as well.

Honestly, Hyunjin couldn't be more confused about the thrilling air around him over some fake spookiness. Jisung had shoved pictures of his costume at Hyunjin's face and bounced up and down as he described what Minho's would look like since he hadn't quite gotten him to wear it yet. Then Felix caught the bouncing bug and couldn't even hold the phone still enough for Hyunjin to see the picture of his wings and cute onesie. Felix shook his hair backward and grinned as he told the group of their plan to put one day color in his hair so he would have a pastel rainbow mane!

Then Chan just had to list every snack that would be at his party, each one hyping Jisung up more than the next. Chan also felt the need to mention that there would be an ice cream bar and homemade brownies. Jisung may have melted into Minho.

It was a lot for Hyunjin, who was simply trying to figure out how to pass math and perhaps get Jeongin to change his mind about coming.

Changbin was not helping either. He didn't say anything, but every time they made eye contact, he would give Hyunjin this creepy smile. Hyunjin had no clue what that was about and he wasn't sure he wanted to find out.

He found out anyway.

That afternoon, Changbin miraculously convinced Hyunjin's mom to let him come over to 'study.'

Technically, Hyunjin had two more days of his punishment and they had finished their 'project,' but somehow Changbin had gained his mother's favor. After one week of knowing each other, he could suggest they do any reasonable thing, and it seemed she would just agree. It was like Hyunjin wasn't grounded at all. Had she forgotten? It was either that or Changbin's 'responsible demeanor' had earned her undying trust.