Chapter 11: "Kill me now..."

Life is tough, but so are you."

-Unknown

Jack Lopez

What was I going to do?

Joline had invited me to Bryan's 18th birthday party and I had accepted.

I didn't think about the fact that I'll have to give him a present and that I'd rather avoid him today, but it was too late to back out now. I had promised Joline that I would come.

I truly was puzzled by Bryan's actions from yesterday and now I wondered if it was a joke, but Bryan left in such a hurry and he seemed surprised as well. Nothing really made sense, but I could ask him about it. There's only one problem... How do I approach him?

I was overthinking this, I should just take it as it comes. For now I needed to worry about what I should get him. I picked up my phone and texted Joline asking for her help. A minute later I felt my phone vibrate and looked at her reply.

'How 'bout you just get him a necklace? Not too expensive, not too cheap.' -Joline.

That was actually a great idea! Bryan would suit a necklace, but did he want one?

'You sure he'd want one?' -Jack

'Yes! I remember him talking about getting one, but he totally forgot it, so I'm sure he'll at least appreciate it.' -Joline

I chuckled. Of course Joline knew if he wanted one. It's Joline after all.

I quickly typed her a thank you before leaving my house.

* * *

"Can I help you?" Turning away from the jewellery I was looking at, I faced the shop assistant.

"Yes, actually..." I quickly glanced at the necklaces before returning my gaze to the fair lady. "I'm looking for a gift, it's for a friend of mine," I explained.

"I can help you with that, is there anything particular you'd like to give them?" The lady seemed really nice, but honestly I didn't know what I was looking for.

"I have no idea, maybe something... green?" I said hesitantly. Bryan's eyes were green, so it would at least suit him.

"Something green..." She looked over the necklaces. "I have just the thing for you! How about a necklace with a green marble stone and a silver frame?" She asked me and I nodded.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

She walked behind the counter and took out a velvet box. I walked over to her where she had opened the box. In the box was a beautiful silver necklace with a deep green stone. The colour was very beautiful and it was almost the same green Bryan's eyes had. I decided that this was his gift.

* * *

"Jack! You're late!" Joline scolded me as soon as I stepped inside of Bryan's apartment.

"I know, I had trouble finding my outfit," I told her and she scoffed. "Have you seen Bryan by the way?" I asked her and she looked around.

"Last time I saw him he was in the kitchen." She gave me a smile which I returned.

"Thank you, uhm... I'm going to go... you know." I waved the gift around and she chuckled.

"Just go already!" She said holding her gorgeous smile.

Pushing my way through the crowd, I tried to get to the kitchen. The closer I got the less people squished me. When I entered the kitchen I saw Bryan talking with a couple of guys, most of them were probably jocks. I recognised Ian and Oliver who where standing in the corner holding hands. I was a bit jealous of them, they were so close.