Chapter 6: Keith

Getting up bright and early was no large feat for me to achieve. I had to go and get myself a suit for the interview since I owned nothing of the sort. And yes it was a cafe that I would be applying for but at the end of the day, I need this job and will take any measures to be able to get it. Lance was still fast off when I got out of the bed. His shirt had raised up to just below the nipple and the duvet was barely even on him anymore. He had one leg thrown over the side of the bed and his arms splayed in all different directions. The only thing that remained untouched was his face, which still held the angelic expression that I had grown to like yet again. I thought about waking him but decided the nicest way would to do so would be with breakfast. One thing that I hated about Japanese breakfasts would be the fact that fish was always top of the menu no matter where you are. Thankfully they had an assortment of waffles and stuff for pancake batter. I did like myself a good, sweet breakfast but I often stuck with healthier options. However, this was for Lance and so it had to be nice. I pulled out the waffles and set them in the microwave to heat them through for a few seconds. Once they were done, I drizzled them with a maple syrup before setting a dollop of cream on the side of them. I carried the both of them upstairs as best as I could with a couple coffees balanced on my forearm. I entered the room and set the precarious drinks on his bedside as well as a plate for him. Once I had put down his plate, I picked up my hot beverage and carried both the waffles and the drink towards my side of the bed. The only struggle of the morning would be to wake Lance up. If he was anything like he was back then, then waking him up would be a danger to anyone. Nevertheless, he had work this morning, there was no other option. I gently prodded his bare side from where his shirt had risen and repeated that action a few times over. No response. I decided to roll him over in the hopes that the movement would stir him. No such luck. I instead held him by the collar and pulled him dead close to me. I held him like that for a good ten seconds, only letting him go after a smirk appeared on his face and his eyes opening slightly. “good morning.” He grinned. I let him fall back to his pillow where he sat upright and pulled his shirt down over the rest of his torso. “what’s this?” he asked gesturing to the layout that I had created. “breakfast.” I explained. He nodded in acknowledgement and began to dig in. “this is pretty damn good actually.” He said between mouthfuls and then swallowing. “how come you are up so early anyway, I thought your interview was at twelve?” He continued, shoving another forkful of waffle dripping in maple syrup into his mouth. “i have to go and get myself a suit.  I have never owned such a thing and don't have anything remotely formal.” Lance started choking  next to me, and me being the panicky idiot that I am tried to fix the situation. Once Lance had calmed down, he was able to swallow his food normally. “god, sorry about that.” He said, still catching his breath. “you could have asked me. I own a fair few since every now and again I will wear one to work. I don't typically since I just rock in with a sweater and formal looking trousers but you could always borrow one of mine, i would be more than happy for you to do that.” I decided to take his offer since I had nothing better to wear. They do say desperate times call for desperate measures. And I mean, in a way, it was just another excuse to smell of blueberries, bubble-gum and the ocean. Never in a million years would I admit to wanting to be surrounded by such a scent but being surrounded by Lance was something that became oddly comforting recently. Regardless of how much we argued, I couldn’t help seeing him the way I desperately didn’t want to. ‘stupid Lance’ I cursed to myself.

“sorry?” my friend asked in return. I wasn’t sure how to feel or react in that situation so instead I played it off and started messing with my hair, twisting it around in my fingers and pulling at little pieces in the hopes to straighten out certain curls. “Keith?” Lance said, putting down his now empty plate of waffles. “hm?” I hummed back. I looked over at his nervous face that had grown in embarrassment as I met his eyes. “do we have anything specific ready for dinner tonight?” he asked. His voice quavered making him seem smaller than he actually was. “no?” I responded. “why?”

“i was thinking that we could possibly go out for dinner tonight.” He hid his face from the blush that continued to expand. “you really hate my cooking huh?” I teased, raising a brow.

“god no, that’s not what I meant. I was just thinking that we could celebrate the fact that you are actually going to go for a job.” I punched his arm at the last part of his proposal.

“i am fully capable of getting myself a job you know. I bet you I’m going to crush this interview.” I promised. Still holding his arm in slight pain, he gave me a sly grin. “bet you won’t.”

“damn, I will.”

“No you won’t.” He continued.

“okay, if I don’t get this job, you get to do whatever the hell you want for a week and I won’t judge or scold you for it.” He grinned slyly again.

“The cupboards?” he asked.

“Except the cupboards.” He rolled his eyes in annoyance and continued to plan on ways to completely get on my nerves without me having a go at him. I already knew I had made a grave mistake but there was no way I was going to miss this chance to finally do something and look after myself like a normal earthling. “and if you get the job, you get to ask me, max, three questions about me and I have to answer truthfully. They can be spread out over a large period of time, if needed. Only three.” He explained. This just made me want to get the interview even worse. I couldn’t miss out on such an offer. There were too many things that I wanted to know about Lance and he couldn’t lie to me either which made it even better. I guess he was that confident that I would lose. Tonight’s dinner was going to be a celebration and a half.