I

Avery

Avery

I picked at the waist of the black dress I wore, trying to situate it to be more flattering, but it didn't help. It was cheap, and made me look like a cereal box, but it was the only slightly nice thing I had.

I gave up bothering about the dress and grabbed a sweater to throw over the top, because it was sleeveless and I had a farmers tan.

I'd seen the way Elizabeth's eyes had widened in horror when she saw it. She'd situated the sleeveless dress she was wearing, the creamy white color of it going well with her smooth salon tan, and exited the bathroom with an awkward smile.

Every day I spent in this household humbled me a little more, contrasted the difference between my upbringing and my cousins.

I combed my dark hair out and tried to decide what hairstyle to do. I tried to French braid my hair four times before my arms were too exhausted and collapsed. Forget that. I'd leave it down.

Meghan swung open the bathroom door and plopped her makeup bag on the counter.

" Ooouu, I like your dress Avery," she said.

"Thanks Meghan," I smiled at her in the mirror. She really was sweet. We were the same age, but had nothing in common, and though she was polite, and I made an effort to create conversation, I could see that were were never going to have the click. The click is vital to the best relationships, and if it doesn't happen within five minutes, it never will.

I watched her do her makeup as I brushed my hair once more, put on a swipe of mascara, and went to my room. I decided to pull up a makeup tutorial this very evening, because I had no clue how to do what they did to look the way they did. I'd never been so self conscious of my imperfections.

"Hey Ave, do you want me to do your makeup for you?" Meghan poked her head out the bathroom door.

"Oh, ahhh...sure, if you want to. I don't wear it, I mean I would, I just never learned really," I said, and then cringed at my stammering.

"Okay, sit on the bed."

I didn't move until she had finished, and to be honest I was scared. If I didn't like it it would be rude to take it off. My friend from home had done my makeup once and it had looked terrible, absolutely terrible. We'd laughed and agreed that the look wasn't for me. I'd never bothered with makeup since, because I thought it didn't look good on me. I hadn't really stopped to consider that maybe two fourteen year old girls just kinda sucked at doing makeup.

When she was done she held up a mirror for my inspection. My jaw dropped and I reached up a hand to touch my face.

"How...did you do this to me? It looks amazing," I breathed.

Meghan laughed delightedly.

"Yes. It really brings out your good features. You have pretty eyes." She packed up her makeup and stood.