Chapter 3

Working in retail was the worst thing I could ever imagine. I honestly sat in my car every day and just stared at the building dreading going in. I quit in my head about 6 times before I even finished a shift and that was on a slow day.

The thing was it wasn't even the people my age that made it horrible. It was the middle age soccer moms of the world who made it hell. Always feeling entitled with their coupons and their ability to just ask for a manger when something wasn't to their pleasing.

Like I just worked here, I didn't make the rules. I thought once I became manger it wouldn't suck as bad. An yeah I got to hide back in the office some days and work on the paperwork. Of course days like today had me biting my tongue.

The woman was a regular and for some reason always had a problem at our store. As she continued to rant on how she was just disgusted by our service I crossed my arms and nodded slowly as if I was concerned.

If she always had horrible service here then why did she come back?

I suppressed an eye roll as she then started to dig into the cashier who I knew hadn't done anything wrong. Did she not know that once she left the store we were just going to make fun of her? Like no ones complaints were ever taken seriously. The customer was never right.

She was just hoping if she complained loud enough and made a big enough scene I'd give her a discount which was totally not going to happen. My eyes drifted to the large man sitting in the far corner of the store.

He was huge and dressed in a black shirt that was was strained over his muscled frame. His long brown hair was knotted at the base of his neck hiding the tattoo on the back of his neck.

If I didn't know who he was I would have called the police on him hours ago. It had taken that long to convince the rest of the human employees that he wasn't a threat.

He was just some random scary looking guy who had decided to pop into our humble store on a rainy day to read romance novels. Yeah nothing weird about that or the fact that yeah he hadn't turned a single page since he sat down. Maybe he was just a real slow reader.

I was leaving the house to go to work the day after my 'meeting' with the Alpha to find Wyatt waiting for me outside. We'd actually never spoken before and I had felt extremely awkward walking up to him.

He was tall as the alpha and maybe even as large. While the Alpha had a clean cut business handsomeness to him Wyatt was just plain terrifying. He normally wore sunglasses to hide his glowing gold eyes and he wouldn't speak in human company either as his fangs were always visible.

There was a rumor he'd been captured by witches as a child and tortured forcing him into the permanent state he was in now.

I'd also heard he was also like ten times stronger because of it though. I felt my heart ache as I tore my eyes from him. He was a poor excuse of a substitute for the Alpha. Sure he could probably protect me and tear someone in half if he wanted but he wasn't what I wanted.

Who'd be after me anyway? Well except this crazy lady. I wonder if I acted like she was attacking me would he body tackle her out of my life?

Nah he'd probably kill the human.

"Are you even listening to me!" She screeched bringing my focus back onto her. Man her face was all red and splotchy. Like who really cared this much over some stationary items?

"Yes mam I was and I understand your concern but there is nothing I can do I'm sorry." I said speaking sweetly in my work voice. It really pissed them off when I kept my voice all nice and sweet.