Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I woke up to the worst headache.

I felt like my skull had been split open, again, and then smashed with a hammer for added measure. A hot throbbing mess that started at the back of my head and spread to my temples. My eyelids felt heavy because of it and it was hell trying to get them open. My vision was blurry and everything was dark with grayish cast shadows, the dim flicker of what looked like torches.

I frowned, then hissed as I tried to lift myself up. The ground beneath me felt like hard packed soil, straw, and gritty rocks. The air around me was cold and icy, my breath coming out in a cloud in front of me as I managed to lift myself up onto my knees, the toes of my feet digging into the ground as I clutched at my head in pain.

I blinked a few more times, clearing my vision and scanning my surroundings.

I was in some kind of cell. Only a small wooden basin sat in the corner filled with water and a straw mattress in the other corner, thick iron bars separating my tiny cell from a large open room that appeared to be filled with other cells that spiraled up toward the ceiling that appeared to be six stories above. Torches flickered and danced, causing shadows to dance eerily on the stone walls.

I scowled, rising to my feet. My legs wobbled for a moment, but I caught my balance, pausing to frown as I realized I only wore my black leather pants, my armor from before gone. I scanned the cell for a moment, then approached the iron bar. I could feel a pulse through it indicating it was booby-trapped.

I curled my lip and started to throw my hand to blast my way out, but agony split my skull. Pain shot through my veins as burning hot electricity that shot all my nerves and drove me to my knees. I snarled in pain, grasping the sides of my head before my hands slid down to my throat and I froze, breathing hard as I felt a thin metal collar clipped around my throat.

It wasn't Akin's collar.

"You might not want to use your powers for a while." A voice said, making me jerk my head up to see Arikos standing on the other side of the bars, his expression dark and gloomy. He wasn't wearing the outfit I'd left for him. Instead, he was completely naked with only gold jewelry jingling on his wrists, ankles, neck, and gold hoops in his ears. I narrowed my eyes at the jewelry and the fact that he was naked. I hadn't seen that specific type of jewelry in years and the only Atlanteans who wore it....

My stomach contracted.

It was the mark of property, of slaves reserved for entertainment.

"Yeah," Arikos said as if he read my mind, making me narrow my eyes on him, "I think I'd rather be a prostitute." I clenched my teeth, but said nothing. I wasn't sure I could find the words to express myself without wanting to blast him and hurt myself in return. Instead, I sat there on my knees, glaring up at him as he stared at me, a mix of emotions swirling in those eerie silver eyes.

"I belong to Atlan," He spat the Atlantean's name with obvious disdain, "When he found out you were alive through Xenon, he knew sending one of Xenon's siblings wouldn't work, so he sent me to find you and bring you here."

"Why?" I demanded through clenched teeth. Arikos frowned.

"Because Atlan wanted--"

"No," I snapped abruptly, rising to my feet and making Arikos take a step back from the bars, "Why did you bring me here after what I did for you? Or do you always turn people over to Atlan after they help you?" Arikos looked disgusted, but not in me-- himself. He looked away, rubbing at his wrists where a pair of gold cuffs sat with a single hoop jingling on them, perfect for connecting a chain to, to keep him restrained.