Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"I don't understand." I stated.

A prophecy that dictated the rise of a warrior who overthrew Atlan and took over the Atlantean pantheon. It would suck to be an Atlantean god that day, particularly Atlan, but what the hell did that even have to do with me? I wasn't sure where Lea was taking this, and her wariness to explain it was annoying me. Even more so was watching Xenon slump against the wall as if he was just now realizing what she was saying and Dorean just stared at me, like he was unsure whether or not he was even seeing me.

"Hannibal," Lea said patiently, making me frown further, "The warrior that is to rise from the battlefield is said to be born of blood, to live in blood, and to crave blood. The warrior carries the blood of both Atlantean and Greek. A hybrid god with knowledge and powers and ancient wisdom from both pantheons. A true unstoppable warrior. The only thing, aside from one of the three first demons, that can truly kill Atlan without rupturing the Source." I stared at her for what felt like eternity, not saying a single word or moving a single muscle as her words slowly sank in.

A prophecy that dictated a hybrid god of Atlantean and Greek blood would take over the Atlantean pantheon, become their King.

Right.

And I'm also jolly ol' Saint. Nick on the holidays.

"Okay," I said, trying to find it in me not to respond as venomously as I wanted to, but it happened anyway, "Sure. Yeah. Why not? Do I get a crown to wear too? One of the frilly pink ones you can buy at the dollar store for a toddler's birthday?" Dorean covered his face with a hand and Xenon made a noise of supreme disgust, and Lea just appeared baffled.

"Excuse me?" She asked, taking a step toward me, but I took two back, then a few more until I was at the door to the room.

"No, no. I get it. It all makes sense now," I said with a calmness I didn't feel, sweeping a stare over everyone in the room before staring directly at Lea, who still looked bewildered, "I'm King of the Atlanteans. Hurrah. Mardi Gras beads for everyone. Oh, I'm also apparently the King of Fools as well."

"What? Hannibal--" Lea started for me, but I flung my hand out and sent a stream of fire that scorched the place just in front of her and she took a step back, her eyes widening in shock and Xenon caught her by the shoulders to pull her back. He glared at me, but I ignored it as I pinned Lea with a menacing glare.

"I came to you to get answers, but that's fine. I'm used to playing games with you people. I'll just leave the palace and go find Atlan myself." I said, throwing my hands up angrily. Xenon made a weird noise of distress.

"Don't," He protested, letting go of Lea to step toward me, "Hannibal, don't do that! That's stupidity! If what Lea is saying is true, we cannot, absolutely cannot, let Atlan get his hands on you! It could destroy the world as we know it and I'm still not even sure how I could use Xiphrus to destroy Atlan if Atlan can control him. We can't let you anywhere near Atlan until we come up with a plan--"

"What's he going to do? Kill me?" I scoffed.

"Yes!" Lea managed in agony. I stared at her.

"I suppose I'm not the only one with memory loss, now am I," And at her questioning stare, I turned to Xenon, who stiffened, "Oh, looks like you have more fun things to talk about with your auntie, Zee. Look at you, being a fine upstanding nephew."

"What's he talking about?" Lea demanded angrily. Xenon sputtered indignantly as I flung the door open and Xenon moved forward me, but I whirled around and pinned him with a glare that froze him on the spot.