°˖✧ puzzle dates » regulus black ✧˖°

—author's note: I adored writing this. Like a lot. So what happens when you meet Regulus, your friend years after hogwarts? Happy reading ;)

—warning(s): mentions of food and drink. gender neutral!reader (pronouns aren't used). reader is James's sibling but it's hardly there.

—word count: 1,546

It was raining heavily. You had been out for about an hour, getting groceries for the week. Whispering a spell, making sure no one was viewing in your direction, you watched your wand transform into an umbrella and hurried away from the shop. Stalking towards your house, you tried to make sure not to let your bags get wet. You didn't notice the man standing in your way.

"Ah, shit—" you began, not looking up far too busy to check whether or not something fell. "I'm so sorry sir, I didn't notice where I was going—"

"Potter?"

You gazed up meeting someone you hadn't seen in a long time.

"Regulus."

For a minute you two just stared at each other. He had changed. The thin, gaunt boy you saw as a child was replaced by a handsome man with the same striking eyes you used to know so well. You shook yourself.

"What— what are you doing here?" you said gesturing towards the damped hair and drenched clothes. Extending your umbrella over his head you continued, "You'll get sick."

"Worried about me, are you Potter?" he said, raising his eyebrows. "Why don't you think the soaked-to-the-bone look works for me?"

You chuckled.

"You didn't answer my question,"

"Ah, I was here on ministry business but I guess I won't be able to get it done now," he said slowly looking around. "Was trying to find a place I could apparate safely. Too many muggles around."

You furrowed your eyebrows noticing your surroundings again.

"Come with me," you suggested. "My apartment is nearby and you could dry off before leaving."

Regulus looked like he wanted to refuse but you cut him off.

"You'll only ruin your health here, come with me— also it's been a long while since we talked," you pointed out and Regulus looked at you curiously. His mouth quirked upwards and he nodded. The two of you moved to the quaint three-story building, climbing up the stairs before reaching your door. You muttered in some spells before hearing a click.

"Don't trust muggle locks?" Regulus said smugly as you rolled your eyes.

Waving your wand, you started up the fire; the warmth tickling your skin. Regulus took to drying himself off— murmuring incantations. You took to keeping the bags in the kitchen, putting up a kettle for some tea. Taking off your scarf, you sighed and sneaked a glance at Regulus who was now standing awkwardly looking around the house.

"You know you can sit, right?" you asked him. Shaking his head a little, he went to sit down in front of the fireplace. You took out some cups and an assortment of tea bags placing them in a tray along with some cookies you had bought the same day. Regulus smiled as you came in.

"Which one will you have?" you inquired as he gently took the cup from your hand. "Ah, still can't have tea made by anyone else?"

Regulus threw you a grin.

"It's a disastrous habit."

The two of you sat in silence for a while, the tea pleasantly hot against your throat. Rain thrummed at the roof, the noise filling up the place.