ONE.

CASSIA.

my burning throat was cooled by the water as i took large gulps from my bottle. we had just finished the second set, which started halftime. we were tied 1-1, and i was anxious of what would come out of this match. the gymnasium was hot, and the mixture of my own body heat and the hundreds of others from the crowd didn't bode well with my stamina.

"so," spoke an unfamiliar voice, "you come here often?"

i turned my head and looked up to the tall boy who stood behind me. "excuse me?"

"you're like a three-point pass," his blue-grey eyes stared down at me, "you're perfect."

i only rolled my eyes and ignored him, but he continued.

"are you as good as serving your numbers as you are with volleyballs?"

i let out the small laugh that i was unknowingly containing, "how often do you do this?"

"pretty much every match i play," he shrugged, "first time i get to do it to a girl though."

i rolled my eyes yet again and smiled. the beads if of sweat on his forehead gleamed under the gymnasium lights. i reached down into my bag and tossed my extra water bottle to him.

he nodded a thank you and chugged. once he had finished about half the bottle and crinkled the plastic, he reached out his hand. "name's spencer, you?"

i smiled softly and shook his hand, "cassia, but you can just call me cassie."

"cassie..." he tested the word out, letting it flow through his mouth, "so about that number..."

a playful smile sat on my lips, "keep dreaming, lover-boy."

"come on," he whines, holding out his syllables, "say, if my team wins, you gotta give me your number."

i cocked a brow at him, starting to get annoyed with his persistence, "listen, i'm flattered but—"

"okay i now realize i sound like a f-boy, but—!"

"did you really just say 'f-boy'?" i chuckled, "what? too scared to say fuck?"

he rolled his eyes, like i had many times, but still returned my smile, "i hit on people as jokes. my buddy and i try to do it to make the other team distracted, okay?"

i nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"i want your number because you seem genuinely cool."

i hummed, debating my choices. "fine, but only if you win."

he smiled brightly, and as if on queue, a whistle sounded to get ready for the next set.

 ' , —

spencer's tactic, albeit odd, somehow worked. before we spoke, i was focused on winning for the team. now, i was focused on winning to beat spencer. i constantly checked behind the net to try and find him, to see how he was holding up.

i was distracted, but thankfully, he was too.

he was fumbling, catching my glance, and then pausing in his movement. he was like a scratched disk, skipping and stopping at all the wrong times.

the last match had us up 15-14, a neck and neck game. we had hit 15, the required amount to win, but by technicality, we needed one more point to be up by 2. my teamate, nash hudley (number 18), passed the ball to hayden west (number 07), who passed it to me.

they were giving me the last hit.

i watched the ball with a keen eye, and hit it one last time. my eyes followed it as it hit the ground,

right in front of spencer.

the referee called the point, and the team cried out in a cheer. the boys lifted me up, and paraded me around like i was royal. we had won the tournament, a new trophy was ready to be put in the glass case back at school.

i laughed, ruffling brian merold's hair playfully as the guys set me down. i regained my balance, and made eye contact with the familiar boy across the court. with a small smirk, i skipped my way over to him.

"so," i smiled widely, resting my hands behind my head, "you lost."

he frowned slightly, "i did, i lost."

i hopped up on the barrier that sat between the bleachers and the court. my mouth opened as i prepared to speak, but was interrupted by the stomping footsteps behind me. as she came down the bleachers from her seat, viv tackled me in a hug.

"you did it!" she pulled away, helping me not fall of my spot on the barrier. she hopped over it to stand in front of me, rather than behind. "fro-yo to celebrate? i'll pay."

i cocked a brow with a smile, and looked over to spencer, who was awkwardly standing next to me and viv.

"say, how about you pay," i smirked, and poked spencer's chest, right on the center of his number.

spencer laughed, "oh, is that your unspoken side of the bet?"

i nodded with a hum, "mhm! viv, whats the most expensive fro-yo place near us?"

spencer rolled his eyes as vivian took a moment to think, not bothering to ask who this boy was.

 ' , —

"this is awful."

i laughed as spencer sulked, eating his boring vanilla fro-yo as viv and i indulged on our monstrously sweet concoctions.

"its just business, babes," i smirked as i took a bite.

viv set her bowl down, "alright, i wasn't going to ask, but you called him 'babes'."

i tilted my head in confusion, a silent way to ask for her to continue.

"who the fuck is he?" she pointed at spencer, who was slightly red, presumably from the nickname.

"im right here, y'know..." he laughed slightly.

i shrugged, "some guy i kidnapped to pay for my fro-yo. no biggie"

viv rolled her eyes, knowing she wouldn't get an answer out of me at that moment, so she didn't bother to continue asking. she'd probably pester me about it tomorrow.

soon we finished eating, still talking about the game. spencer gave vivian his address, and she quickly dropped him off at his home, seeing as she was the one who drove us.

his house was nice, at least from what i could tell of the outside. it was a bit more in the expensive side of town, which wasn't surprising to me. he attended ridgeworth for pete's sake, those kids were normally well off.

i smiled to myself as viv began to drive to her house, assuming i was spending the night, probably. she was humming along to a shitty indie band she managed to scour up from the internet, bobbing her head with the weird beat.

i sighed, hoping spencer would notice the napkin i shoved into his backpack with my number.

hello kal here
its back :) and its no longer an x reader! as im p sure ranboo isnt comfy with x readers, so i made it an oc instead!
enjoy part 1 of ur late christmas gift mwah