19 🗡 Cao Manor's Banquet

There were a number of customs and rules to be followed for a formal gathering. Even the sitting arrangement was something that should be paid attention to. Da Xia committed everything into memory as Qian Ru and Rong Rong patiently explained and demonstrated the things that she had to do.

After the lengthy lesson for the day, the three chatted leisurely while drinking tea. They were sitting on a round table situated near the window of Qian Ru's room, the sound of the busy street below accompanying their energetic voices. Anyone could tell that the three were quite fond of each other.

"Da Xia, you are already of marrying age," Rong Rong teased. "Did your master find any suitable husband for you?"

The petite girl giggled when she recalled the morphing lies of the warrior regarding the qualifications he set for her prospective husband.

"No, he hasn't found any. My master seemed to have a...specific standard for my prospective husband," she remarked. "By the way, why are you in City of Lanterns? Do you have a business here? Have you finished your paintings in Rose Petal sect's vacation manor?"

Qian Ru sipped her tea and smiled at her. "We finished our paintings, and the rest of the disciples are on their way to North Mountain country. I opted to stay here for a few days to take care of some personal matters."

Rong Rong immediately dropped her gaze and fiddled with her teacup, which did not escape Da Xia's eyes. It seemed like whatever Qian Ru's purpose was, it was indeed something very personal.

"Da Xia, if I may ask..." Qian Ru appeared to be hesitating as she paused briefly before continuing, "...what is Yong Jie's plan in North Mountain country besides taking the imperial military exam?"

"Hmm... Master said we will rent a house first, then once he saves enough money, he will buy a manor."

The lady's eyes lit up upon hearing her answer. "If he plans to buy a manor there, does it mean that he plans on establishing his household in North Mountain country?"

"That seems to be the case," Da Xia responded quietly as she thought about the female lead who was also in North Mountain country.

Qian Ru and Rong Rong exchanged glances, delight written on their faces with the little maiden's confirmation.

"Then do you know if your master has anyone in mind to be the mistress of his household?" Rong Rong interjected.

Da Xia inclined her head to the side as she pondered. "He always says that he hasn't thought of marriage yet because of the imperial military exam."

Rong Rong nodded in understanding. "How's your stay in City of Lanterns so far?" she asked.

"It's quite enjoyable," Da Xia answered while smiling. "This city is bigger than Yellow Dirt City."

They continuously chatted, telling each other stories of their experiences since the last time they saw each other. Da Xia couldn't help but think about the modern parallel world as she listened to Qian Ru and Rong Rong, her smile never leaving her face. Socializing with people instead of chatting online was indeed more enjoyable and more heartwarming.

"The adjacent room for maidservants is quite small compared to other cities, isn't it?" Rong Rong noted. "And they charge quite an exorbitant price!"

"That's true, Older Sister. That's why we opted to rent a single room instead of a room with adjacent maid's quarter."

"S-single room?" Qian Ru stuttered in disbelief before glancing at Rong Rong who was also as stunned as her. A maidservant staying in the same room as her master defied the norms of Chun Empire. Even more so if the master was a man!