Hello Darling!!

"Damn that lady..." You cursed underneath your breath, trotting up the long flight of stairs for the eighth time. Not only had Ginger given you the papers in an unorganized manner, but she hadn't told any of the radio hosts that there would be a new colored woman delivering them their scripts. That meant that the majority of the men that received their lines from you, had paused in place and stared at you in confusion, upon opening their doors after you knocked.

It was so awkward. So uncomfortable. The way they would look at you with a side-eye as you handed them their daily manuscript. Some of them just swiped it out of your grasp and retreated back into their office without so much as a thank you, the others just hit you with the caucasian smile and hesitantly took the papers out of your hands, watching you closely as you walked off. Honestly, it was expected but, you couldn't help but wonder if the editor before you had to go through the same issue.

Despite your press for time and the somewhat tense encounters you just had to face, you only had one manuscript left to deliver on your floor. It was all the way on the opposite end of the hall, a brown door with a small window that had the numbers '323' painted on in black. Peeking in through the said window, you could see that the man that inhabited this booth was still recording. His back was facing you, but he still had on a pair of big black headphones and one of the mechanics of the broadcast device was slowly spinning in a circle.

You knew it was rude to do so, but you knocked on the door anyway, hoping that he wouldn't be too crossed that you had interrupted him. He turned around to face the door briefly, before holding up a single finger in a silent 'one moment, please!' You backed up a few inches from the door and tapped the back of your heel on the carpeted floor softly, nibbling on your lip and holding the last few papers close to your chest in a nervous habit.

'Okay, just apologize for interrupting, hand him his papers, and keep your head down until he goes back in his booth.' You thought yourself as you waited.

It took only a few more seconds until the man opened the door and stepped out halfway.

"Well, hello there!" He greeted enthusiastically. "How can I help you?"

"Sorry to interrupt," You said. "I'm just here to deliver your script, Sir." Following your own instructions like that of a soldier in the army, you handed him the papers and kept your (E/C)'s on the man's shiny office shoes.

"Ah yes!" He exclaimed, taking the papers from you as a civilized person would, rather than snatching it or shakily taking it from your hand as if you were diseased. "Thank you darlin'."

That made you raise your head up in shock because he had actually thanked you.

"Um, your welcome Sir." You replied with a bit of a raised eyebrow. The man laughed loudly, seeming to find humor in your obvious confusion as you stood there looking at him like he was an absolute madman. You were about to just walk away because now he was being just a bit too extra, until a gloved hand darted out, gripping your wrist gently. He seemed to be scrutinizing you, but you refused to meet his eyes out of respect, as it finally clicked in his head just exactly who you were.

"Say, aren't you the dame that had caused all that commotion earlier today?" He said, having an 'ah-ha!' moment and using his free hand to point at you somewhat accusingly.

You grimaced a bit at his words. You had almost forgotten about that. It wasn't that you couldn't, as a matter of fact, you could never forget how mortifying that experience was, but you were forcing yourself to. Fully knowing that if you just let it simmer in your head it would lead to nothing but stress. Letting out an awkward chuckle and avoiding his gaze, you replied sheepishly.

"Yes, that was me..."

The man smiled happily and looked at you with expectancy. "Well, aren't you going to thank me?" He asked. You took a moment to wonder what he was referring to until you realized that he was the same man that saved you earlier!