A Day In The Life

March 28, 1926

New Orleans, the place where dreams were supposed to come true. People of all colors and backgrounds lived in this very place, their cars bustling about and the sound of their polished shoes hitting the pavement was always somewhat soothing to you.

You lived on the outskirts of town though, only hearing said soothing sounds when you went out to work. Living near the bayou's meant that you usually fell asleep to the sounds of crickets, the faint smell of the swamp, and dim lighting that your local fireflies provided for you.

But right now, everything was still behind your eyelids as you dwelt peacefully in the soothing sound of silence.

'Ring-Ring-Ring'

Okay, that sound definitely wasn't soothing...

You groaned to yourself as the blue alarm clock went off, signalling the beginning of what you expected to be a long day. Using your foot that was stuck out from under the covers to shut that damn noise off, you reluctantly arose from your full sized bed and treaded into the bathroom.

It would be considered small in the eyes of other people, but it was big enough just for you. Keeping your bathing space as clean as possible, it was obvious you had very few items, only really keeping the toiletries you absolutely needed. The tub was located in the far left corner, it wasn't anything special and the porcelain had a small handful of chips and cracks. The plumbing for your house was pretty average, all though you did have to smack the pipes sometimes to get the water flowing.

Looking in the mirror above the sink, you could see that your hair was an absolute mess, figuring your scarf had come off of your head in the middle of the night. That means that you would have to move quicker than usual to straighten it out with the hot comb in the kitchen. A tired sigh left your lips. The boss hated it when you were late, last time you were he gave you a long speech about how someone like you was lucky enough to have the job position that you did, unbeknownst to him you agreed 100%

Most negros didn't have decent paying job, your parents being a first hand example. As a child your daddy worked down at the mills, hauling large burlap sacks of sugar around from morning 'til night, while your mother was taking care of you and working at the same time.

She used to trick you awake by leaving you bedroom door open so the scent of breakfast being made in the kitchen could come in. She'd help you get dressed for the morning (with the clothes she had previously pressed the night before) and tell you what house you'd be working at that day.

After eating, the both of you would head out to the entrance of your little neighborhood to catch the local trolley. Heading to the back of the bus and waiting patiently to arrive at your destination, your mother would sometimes grab a book from your house that morning and helped you practice your reading skills as you rode.

Those trips were like going to school and your mother was the best teacher you could ever ask for. Coming from this type of background, made your secretary position in a predominantly white owned office, all the more valuable. 

It wasn't easy to earn, but it was sure easy to lose.

That constant threat hovering above your head was one of the few things that made you wake up in the morning (besides your alarm clock of course), with that thought, you quickly did your morning routine.

Brushing your teeth, washing your face, doing some light makeup, and almost giving yourself tiger burn marks on your scalp from the grueling process of straightening your hair for a more professional appearence, you had roughly about a half and hour left to get to work.

'No time for lollygagging.' You thought to yourself.

Quickly, you put on your black and white dress that had been pressed free of wrinkles, slipped on your stockings and polished black kitten heels, before scooping up all your necessary work items in your brown leather handbag. It was a bit worse for the ware but it was a nice bag nonetheless.

You snatched your matching coat off the rack, preparing to leave when a familiar black and white photo caught your eye. A picture of a man who was tall, dark, and handsome stood in the middle of the framed photo. Smiling widely as he held a rifle in his hands, his chest puffed out in pride with bright hazel eyes staring down at the item.

A small smile gently graced your lips as you kissed your index and middle finger, pressed them softly to the man's face, and finally slammed the door closed.

After making sure you locked up you good, began to power walk towards the childhood trolly stop not too far from your house. The driver was a nice guy and would sometimes hold the bus for you if there weren't too many passengers who would oppose, luckily enough for you, you were right on time and caught him with no problem.

The fifteen minute ride to work was always your favorite part of your day. It gave you a chance to make sure you had everything you needed and give yourself a quick pep-talk.

'Always follow directions given to you. Don't ask questions and don't get too comfortable just 'cause they treat you as an 'equal'. Never forget your place and always give it the best you can. But most of all, no sass-mouthin' (Y/N). Keep your opinion to yourself 'til you get home tonight.' You thought to yourself quietly.

Each and every day those words from your mother ran through your head. You had lived in New Jersey until the age of 3, until your father got a good job offer in New Orleans causing you and your parents to move. You always had a happy life, even after your father died at the age of 56 and your mother had to raise you on her own. She always made sure you had what you needed, even if it took awhile for her to get it.

In return, you always did what you could to make your mother proud. Pushing yourself to be exceptional at your academics and never giving her any problems with your obedience.

It was hard for her when her only child finally left the nest, but she supported you all the way and you made sure to visit her every Sunday to make sure she was in good health.

But, this Sunday was going to be an exciting one for you. You were going to tell your mother about the new job you were hired for at the radio station downtown! It wasn't far from your original job and you would only be working there for a three hour shift. Being paid an extra 11.14 (roughly 0.75 in present day USD) that added to your weekly 14.86 (roughly 1.00 in present day USD) was totally worth it.

The trolley driver calls your stop, snapping you out of your train of thought and back to reality. You stepped off the trolley and out in front of your office building with a smile on your face at the thought of working a new job.

After all, the only thing you have to do is survive this shift.

What could go wrong?