Chapter 8

Kara was on the sunbed with Lena curled up in a chair beside her. Kara wanted nothing more than to hold her but it probably wouldn't be the best idea for a human to lay under high powered radiation providing lamps for hours at a time. So, Kara just had to wait. Luckily, her two hours were just about up.

Suddenly Kara heard a commotion going through the DEO. She could hear everyone's heart racing. Except for one. She honed in on it. It was barely there. A slow, soft thumping that only happens when someone is inches from death. And then it hit her. She knew that heart beat better than Lena's. She had heard it every day for the past 14 years of her life. Her eyes grew wide and she leaped off the sunbed, startling Lena.

"Kara?" Lena's eyes filled with concern.

"It's Alex. She's - " Kara didn't know what to say.

Before she could figure it out, the doors to the med bay were thrown open and J'onn came in with Alex in his arms, bleeding immensely. DEO doctors swarmed and quickly went to work repairing the damage that had been done to Alex's abdomen.

"She was thrown against something. It must've impaled her somehow." J'onn said to the doctors, quickly stepping back to let them work.

The doctors worked quickly, pulling the lodged shrapnel from her abdomen. When Alex was thrown by Banshee, whatever broke her fall also shattered into her. They pulled pieces of metal as well as small pieces of a pinkish-purple stone.

"No." Kara couldn't see Alex. Her heartbeat was faint, even at the height of Kara's hearing.

"No. This can't happen. No." With every word, Kara's voice got smaller and smaller. The idea of her losing another person made her so angry she wanted to scream and fight until she solar flared permanently. But watching Alex fight for life like this, Kara had never felt more powerless.

She felt her cheeks begin to wet as the tears spilled from her eyes. "No." She said over and over. Her knees gave out, causing her to hit the floor so hard it cracked on impact. Kara kneeled and watched, helpless to save her sister. Begging and praying to Rao to save Alex Danvers because she needed her sister. They needed each other.

Lena went to Kara's side. She wrapped an arm around the blonde's shoulders, trying to give a small amount of comfort as they watched Alex being cut and prodded. The doctors were still working to get all of the shrapnel out of her body.

Kara was listening so intently to her sister's heart that she didn't notice when Maggie, James, Winn, and Mon-El got back.

"Alex - " Maggie's voice cracked at the sight of the red head, pale and covered in blood. Winn put a hand on Maggie's shoulder, risking the backlash of touching her.

Maggie didn't even notice. Her eyes had landed on Kara. The only other person in the room to know what it truly felt like to love and be loved by Alex Danvers.

Maggie walked over to Kara and sat next to the blonde. Lena let go of Kara and went to talk to the boys about what had happened.

"Kara. Is she - " Maggie couldn't bring herself to say the words. To ask the question whose answer could completely destroy her.

"I don't know. But her heartbeat is there. We just have to wait." Kara tore her eyes from Alex and returned the detective's gaze.

In that moment, Maggie understood the things Mon-El and Lena had told her about Kara's eyes. Mon referred to them as comets. Lena called them her own personal skies. And Maggie finally saw that. She met Kara's eyes and it was like looking into pure sapphire. Dazzling and sparkling underneath an ocean of tears. And Maggie felt safe. Because these beautiful blue eyes belonged to Supergirl. And Supergirl was Kara Danvers. Neither of whom, would ever let anything harm Alex. They would be safe behind the field of blue and the person they belonged to.