Chapter 16

July 2010

I have the best project in class. Mom and I worked very hard last night to create this papier-mâché model. Rumi ma'am smiles at me and tells me, "Bring it over to the staff room during the end of recess today, Ayesha. We'll keep it on display from now on. It's excellent work."

It's a very good day for me. In the recess, I quickly finish lunch, sitting alone on my bench and then pick up the project. I make sure the 'class monitor' badge is pinned on properly to my shirt and hold the model carefully between both of my hands and make my way towards the staffroom. I tell Ritika to look after my bag and she just nods. She's talking to him. The idiot. Also, the vice-monitor. I love Rumi ma'am. But I don't like that she forced me to sit with him. She says we will become friends like that. I don't want that.

I make my way towards the staffroom. But as soon as I step out of the room, I feel a sudden pull on my hair. I tighten my fingers over the project. I turn around and see the familiar faces. Sarth and his other friends whose names I don't remember. I feel a sudden push and fall down on the floor as they start laughing, surrounding me. I look towards my model but it lays broken.

It's broken. My project broke. I worked so hard on it. I wipe off my tears and try to collect the broken pieces when one of them puts his feet down on one of the broken pieces and it crumbles there. I simply sit there and cry as they start laughing again and all taunting me. "Ayesha what happened to your project?" "Ayesha what are you gonna do now? Cry some more?" "Hey what are you -"

I look up and see Anuj in front of me. He yells, "Everyone shut up!" Sarth still keeps laughing while he crouches down in front of me.

"Aish, you okay?"

"My name is Ayesha. Go away." I try to push him away.

He looks down and only then do I notice that I injured my knees. He tries to get me up and I push him away again. "Get lost! You're no better."

"Hey, Anuj! Let her cry there. What do you care about the nerd? Is she your girlllfrieeenddd?"

He suddenly turns around and punches Sarth straight on the nose as I look on in shock through my tears. He bends down again and gives me a hand and then says, "I know it's a novel concept to you, but how about trusting me, for once?"

I look towards the project again and he starts picking up the pieces with me again. I collect all of them in my hands and finally stand up using his hand as a support. I try to dust off my uniform. My right knee starts bleeding as I try hard to stay upright. It hurts.

One of Sarth's friends tries to reach for me again but Anuj pulls me behind him and stands in front. I keep looking towards the ground. This is not nice.

"Touch her and I'll show you what I can do."

"C'mon! We're just having fun! Aren't we Ayesha?" We are not. I don't like you.

"Leave her alone."

"Why are you defending her all of a sudden? You tease her constantly! You said she's a nerd."

"So? My nerd! Nobody else dares call her that. I will beat you to a pulp." This boy is far too violent.

"You're a traitor, Anuj!"

"Get. Lost."

He turns towards me and then says, "Aish, put the pieces inside. I'll take you to the infirmary."

I wordlessly go to my bench and put all the pieces there as everyone in class keeps staring at me. Ritika smiles at me from a corner and says, "Go. I'll inform ma'am."