A bit of an explanation.

Hi guys :) I've read the story back and I feel like I haven't included enough character and relationship development for everything to be clear yk? So let me summarise the whole story.

Dream has dedicated his whole life to trying to control everyone on the DreamSMP so that it can all be at peace. He does this for George. And only for George. All he wants is for him to be happy. Better yet, for them to be happy together.
However, George is pained by how much Dream has changed since the start of the server. His heart breaks every time he thinks back to when Dream was at peace. To when Dream was peace.
Both of them have been quietly loving each other for years. However Dream thinks he's helping create a peaceful server for George, while George is upset that his friend is fuelled by such destruction.
No confrontations have occurred.
However George plans to confront Dream at the prison after years of procrastination. They meet. George realises that he's still in love, however he's so broken by how much Dream has changed.
Lust takes over, but he can't get the horrible things that Dream has done out of his head.

So he breaks.

Right when Dream thinks he finally has George. Like he's succeeded, and they can be happy together, George erupts in anger and tears and stuff.

It breaks Dreams heart that he's hurt George so badly when he spent all this time trying to do the opposite. So when George leaves, Dreams determination is ruthless. He's gotten a glimpse of life with George now and he's holding onto it for dear life.
Meanwhile, George feels closure. Like he can have a relationship with Dream now that they've settled things.
Dream makes it his goal to get out of prison and run away with George, to live off the grid.
He kills Tommy, forcing him to go to the afterlife. He needs to know what it's like and if Wilbur and Schlatt are still as destructive as they used to be. They are.
So his plan is put into action.
He revives them, and tells them what he needs from them.
A deal is made that they get to control the server. They will be given power when they get Dream out of prison and let him run away with George. After that, they can have complete control.
When George learns of Tommy's death, his heart breaks. He felt like Dream had changed. He felt like they had a chance. But he was just stupid to think so. He's back to thinking Dream is evil and decides to kill Dream bc he causes so much pain, heartache and destruction on the server. He doesn't understand that it's all done for him.
In his mind, he was going to put him, and the server at peace by killing Dream.
But his Dreams at night are getting to him. They are making it difficult to build up the courage to do it. So he decides that visiting Dream one last time before killing him will help give him closure.
So he does.
However he ends up visiting right after quackity, who has been torturing Dream until he gets knowledge of resurrection.
So when he goes in, Dream is barely alive on the floor. It makes him realise that he's still in love despite everything he's done. And he realises that George can't kill Dream. It'd be too hard. While he's sitting with a battered and broken Dream, Wilbur and schlatt begin burning the place down, and blowing the place up. It ends up chipping a hole in the back wall of the prison so that it can be peered through. George witnesses the destruction, and who is doing it. He realises that Dream revived them because he's the only one with the book.
He yells at Dream. Full of anger.
Dream explains that he revived them so that they would break him out and Dream and George could run away and live together.
George realises that everything Dream does is for him, even at the expense of everyone else.
So George is no longer mad.
However Wilbur and schlatt didn't keep up their end of the deal, and got carried away with the explosives. They are no longer helping Dream and George get out of there.
it's evident that quackity had gone too hard this time, and Dream was dying.
So while George watches the destruction of his home, he realises he has nothing left but Dream.
And he knows that Dream is suffering.
So he puts Dream out of his misery, slicing his neck with a broken piece of steel from Quackitys axe or sword.
George knows that killing Dream would be best for this server, and that it was already his plan in the first place.
Everyone on the server is assumed to be killed. There is nothing left. George has lost everything in his attempts to find happiness and achieve peace.
And Dream has lost everything in his attempts to give George happiness, and be with him.