>> Chapter 4

We walk down a couple more corridors full of paintings, before we finally reach a long, spiralling staircase so long that I can't see the top. What were we doing here? Was this the end of the line?

“No one is really ever gone. As long as they’re remembered, they live on.” Keller turns to look at me. “That includes your family.”

“Thank you” I whisper.

Keller motions a hand towards the staircase before continuing, “These stairs will take you where you need to be.”

“Just go up… that’s it?” I question, not taking my eyes away from the now daunting stairs.

“Thats it.”

I walk forward slowly, taking in every last park of the museum before I leave. What was I going to do if I do make it home? What If I felt the same pain that I had felt before I jumped? What If I didn’t want to live in that world anymore?

“There's nothing for me on the other side,” I say, my voice echoing around the room. “What If I stay here?”

Keller smiles at me warmly, “living in the yesterday won’t bring you closer to your family, Iris.”

He was right, it won’t. I can’t run from my past anymore. I can’t hide, either. I need to accept it, and move on. My family will always be there for me, Keller had taught me that. But I need to think about the future; I need to stop dwelling on the past.

“I don’t know If I can do it.” I sigh, tears welling up in my eyes.

“Everything’s impossible, until you experience it.”

I laugh, turning around slowly until I was facing the stair case again. It was time to go back to the real world again, it was time to stop living in the past. I take one last glance at Keller’s smiling face, before I walk up the stairs and vanish for good.

  *   *    *

I feel the patter of rain on my shirt as I try to take in where I am. The air is cold and it’s extremely dark, except for the faint sound of trucks coming from somewhere down below me.

But it’s only when I look down at my feet do I realise where I am; standing on an 18 story building, about to jump.

I shriek, sobbing as I haul myself away from the edge. This isn't the way that I was supposed to die. I have to get away from here as fast as I can.

I need to stop living in the yesterday.