Chapter 27: "No.. she doesn't, she's as oblivious as you, don't worry"

Lili POV 1st person:

I didn't think that my first thought would be Alex Quackity.

But it was.

All because of what he told me, though hadn't it just been a week ago?

————————————————-

Flashback: 

Mario Kart Wii was what we were playing, and I was demolishing the fuck out of Y/n with Waluigi. As one does.

I had angled her phone to face us so that Alex could see us playing while also yelling at each other. He hadn't turned in his face cam for some reason, and it was something he was doing often according to Y/n. I remembered wondering why.

Every time either one of us fell off of Rainbow Road I could hear him cackling or abusing his table and I would smile so damn hard. Not because of him necessarily but because whenever he did so, Y/n would laugh along with him.

Looking back on it, I think I realized why Y/n L/n wasn't supposed to be with Matthew Spore. Because whenever I was with them I didn't feel like a third wheel. We were a trio, the three crackheads and no romantic feelings would get in the way of us enjoying life how it's supposed to be lived. With Alex on the other hand, I felt like that lovable sidekick friend which I found so damn incredible because the boy was literally a thousand miles away.

And I'm not saying that was a bad thing. I personally enjoyed seeing the two of them collapse into fits while I stole the Grand Prix Cup from her. But there's a difference, and I was so blind to it at the time.

After we finished burning our retinas by staring at the screen, Y/n said she had to go to the restroom, leaving me alone with Big Q. I figured it would be awkward with just us talking but it wasn't and by the time she had come back, we had exchanged phone numbers and got to know each other a bit more than we already did. We both didn't give it much thought, but it was only a couple of weeks later I realized that Y/n didn't know that we had exchanged numbers in the first place. I kept quiet because I didn't think she would care.

As time passed by, I found myself talking to Alex a lot more and especially about personal problems. He was surprisingly a great listener and in turn, I tried my best to listen to him. We were ranting buddies, our own therapists, venting and brain-dumping everything we had onto each other. I told him about family life, a topic I had only grazed upon with Y/n and didn't even bother bringing up with Matt. He, on the other hand, told me about school and stress with YouTube. Who knew raiding Roblox could be that stressful?

One time we skimmed over eating disorders. I thought I ate too little and he thought the opposite of himself. He told me he wanted to lose weight and I was frankly a little shocked when he said so. I thought he was perfectly fine as he was, but I didn't argue and instead openly supported him, knowing it was for his own good. I made him promise not to do it unhealthily though, I expressed starving was a no in my book. And even though he didn't say it, I'm pretty sure that was the reason he didn't turn on his face cam anymore.

I think we both knew Y/n was an edgy topic to talk about since we never spoke about her. It was quite possibly EVERYTHING but her until one day I felt like I needed to say something.

I was debating this for some time considering I had an inkling that Alex might have felt the same way. He wasn't necessarily subtle about it, or at least he wasn't very good at trying to conceal it if he was at all. I decided today was the day I'd tell him about how I felt towards my best friend.

"Hey Alex" I typed, as I usually did when I was to go on a venting spree. "About Y/n..."

And that was my mistake.