Chapter Six

Ty and I just wandered around the city for the next six days. We hadn't truly had time to explore since we were focused on the mission, so we took this wait period to actually sight-see and goof off. He mercifully hadn't said much when he patched me up although he seemed to put unnecessary pressure on the injuries. Still, I was glad he didn't absolutely lose it on me for walking right into that and almost getting myself killed.

One of the only reasons that I had ever wanted to come to this place before was because of the restaurants, so that's what we did. Every evening we went to a different place, I allowed myself to become immersed in this for Ty, we needed the brief respite before heading into the jaws of the beast. So we walked, we talked, we relaxed, and we ate an uncalled for amount of food while we were at it. The traffic stayed a nightmare and I still got cards advertising girls but I just tossed them in the next trashcan that I passed. Every evening we would stop pretending to be normal and pour over our small amount of information while Ty worked on my wounds to make sure they were healing correctly.

It took me until Wednesday to move without any pain at all and that was when we started training again in full. Our daily workout now involving boxing at a gym we had located. We always went at too early in the morning to avoid meeting anyone. Other than that there wasn't much we could do until Saturday rolled around.

I called the number on the paper on Saturday morning and Marianne picked up. Ty stepped closer to me so that he could hear without the need for speaker phone. "Hello, Jasmine." I suppressed a shiver.

"Hello, Marianne," I responded, not sure if I should say anything else.

"I will send you a text with the address. You are to walk there, do not bring any belongings other than your mate. No cell phones or any other form of technology either. Be there at two." I opened my mouth to protest but she had already hung up. I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at it, mouth agape.

"Well, she seems bright and full of sunshine," The sarcasm dripped from Ty. I looked at him, suddenly unsure about what I was getting myself into. Without the phone we would have no way to contact the pack, even if I could reach farther than normal with my mind-link I couldn't reach all distances. It fizzled out at around seventy-five to a hundred miles depending on weather and terrain and exactly how angry I was at that particular moment. Ty sighed, "Text Titus, let him know we'll be going dark for an indefinite amount of time. We'll inject those temporary trackers so they can at least follow us for a bit." I nodded. The trackers would last for forty-eight hours before they dissolved in our system, I hadn't yet perfected any that would last longer, be untraceable, and not cause any horrible side effects like death.

We spent the next couple hours finding a place to donate our already sparse belongings, putting our phones in the mail to be sent to Titus, who had acknowledged what was going on, and then putting my bike in storage. I disconnected the battery and hoped that I wouldn't be gone too long. After everything was gone we went back to the motel and injected the trackers deep into our arms, I hoped they would do the trick as I rubbed the sore spot.

We went and checked out before heading to the address she had sent that I had memorized before ditching our phones. It was close to an hour walk away and we arrived slightly before two. The place was a flurry of activity, people moving about and brushing past Ty and me as if we didn't exist. I shot them dirty looks and Ty nudged me, nodding slightly to the left. I looked and Marianne was walking towards us with what looked to be her father trailing slightly behind. I turned to Ty and raised my brow slightly before heading towards them.

"Jasmine! I'm so glad you could make it," She held her arms out in a welcoming gesture and pulled me into a hug. I forced myself not to stiffen at her touch and instead squeezed lightly back before quickly stepping back from her. "Jasmine, this is my father, Lou," She waved a hand at him and I stepped forward to shake his outstretched hand. "And this must be your mate-?"