42. I Promise

"Can't condone murder after you stabbed me in the back and your boyfriend finished the job. Could y'all just take this stake out and like I don't know, let me leave. Clearly you aren't worth it at this point." Dominic said from the floor.

"Ouch, that hurts. Gee did you hear that? I'm not worth dying for." I put a hand to my heart pouting.

"I think you're worth dying for." Gerard whispers. "Uh let's kill the guy yeah? What a dick." He said looking over to Dominic. Did he just say I'm worth dying for? Did GERARD JUST SAY HE WAS WILLING TO DIE FOR ME JUST NOW?! I stared at Gerard as the realization was setting in. He looked back down at me and looked scared.

"Uhh is that a no to killing him?" He asked sheepishly.

"Did you just, are you saying? Gerard?" I couldn't stop the stuttering. My brain was trying to comprehend what he could have meant. Maybe I didn't hear him right, maybe that's not what he said.

"Uh let's uh deal with him first," Gerard let go of me and stepped back out of my arms, his cheeks were pink and I knew mine were too.

"Um yeah sure." I put my arms down and looked at the half conscious Dominic on the floor. "Do we uh, burn him?" I looked up at Gerard.

"Seriously?" Dominic said quietly from the floor a few feet away from us. I think at this point it's more like putting a dog out of his misery.

"Dude you're dying anyway. I don't think taking the stake out is going to save you." He looked from Dominic down to me. "Yeah I'll, uh, take him to a dumpster nearby." He began walking over to Dominic. "Uh here, take my jacket. I don't want blood all over it. Plus it's cold out there." Gerard took his jacket off and handed it to me as I followed him. I took it from him wordlessly and slid it on.

While he moved Dominic so he could pick him up easier without moving the wood shard, I went and grabbed my shoes from where I had left them earlier and slid them back on. As I walked back to Gerard I saw he had Dominic in his arms so I went over to the crate by the couch and grabbed his lighter that he always left there. Then I followed Gerard out the window and we walked for about 10 minutes in silence before Gerard figured we were far enough from people we could burn him. He dropped him in a giant dumpster and took his bloodied shirt off too.

"Can I uh, have my jacket." He reached out to me but didn't look at me. I just took it off and handed it to him before I stepped closer to the dumpster and started the lighter. Dominic had stopped breathing in the middle of our walk. At this point we are just getting rid of the body.

"You're not dropping that alone." Gerard said taking it from my hand. I looked up at him and knew this was another secret we had to keep. I put my hand on his that held the lighter.

"I'm ready when you are." I looked into his eyes and he nodded back. Gerard looked at the body and so did I. Poor asshole. Did he deserve to die? Maybe. But even for a kid our age and probably being alone for his whole life must have really sucked and messed him up. I'm glad Gerard isn't going to end up like that. He has me at least. Well. I hope so.

Gerard flicked the lighter on, opened his hand and the lighter fell onto the bloodied clothes and caught fire to it all too quickly. Must be a vampire thing, cause that definitely isn't normal. It was like there was gasoline in there with him. We stepped back and watched the flames coming over the top.

"Let's, uh head home," Gerard said next to me.

"I left my phone at the warehouse." I looked down at my feet away from the flames and heat.

"Okay, warehouse then go home yeah?"

"Yeah." We walked away from the fire and made our way back to the warehouse in silence. We just murdered a vampire, but also he was trying to kill Gerard... And would have killed me too. Or changed me. Almost the same thing. This was done in self defence. I can't even feel too bad about it. I feel a little bad about it. But I'm not going to let it weigh on me too much. He would have killed both of us if I hadn't stepped in. We climbed in through the window and Gerard went off searching for my phone. I just walked over to the couch in the darkness and sat down closing my eyes, the adrenaline finally wearing off and leaving me tired.