4 - Lies

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Dad was Furious with Fury... Some would say..

Fury-ous 

" I didn't lie. Your daughter  had a different mission than yours." I mean he wasn't wrong. "Which you didn't feel obliged to share." 

"I'm not obliged to do anything." Dang. Snapping Turtle was making some really good points. 

"Those hostages could've died, Nick."

" I sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen." Ah yes. The guilt trip.

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns."

" The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye. Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Brooklyn is comfortable with everything." Okay but it's not our fault you trusted a cat...

"Right Brooklyn?" Nick asked me. "Oh um..what was the question?"

"You're comfortable with everything."

"Well..."

"See!" Dad said annoyed. "And besides, I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their owns."

" It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets because nobody knows them all."

"Except you." Dad and Nick were looking into each others eyes. Well.. more like he was staring into his eye.

"You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that." I chuckled. He stepped into an elevator and me and Dad followed. "Insight bay." He said.

" Captain Rogers does not have clearance for Project Insight." I'M SORRY DID THAT COMPUTER JUST TALK?! 

"Director override, Fury, Nicholas J." 

" Confirmed." The elevator started to move down. "You know, they used to play music." Dad said trying to lighten the mood. 

" Yeah. My grandfather operated one of these things for forty years. My granddad worked in a nice building, he got good tips." Fury said. He looked up. "He'd walk home every night, roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say "hi", people would say hi back. Time went on, neighborhood got rougher. He'd say "Hi", they'd say, "Keep on steppin'. Granddad got to grippin' that lunch bag a little tighter."

"Did the dude ever get mugged?" I asked. Dad stared at me harshly. What? I wanted to know. "Every week some punk would say, "What's in the bag?""

"What did he do?" I asked. 

" He'd show 'em. Bunch of crumpled ones and loaded .22 Magnum." He then smiled eerily. "Granddad loved people. But he didn't trust them very much." 

"I'm sorry I asked." I said. As we headed down, I noticed a bunch of  giant helicarriers. 

"Yeah, I know. They're a little bit bigger than a .22." Fury said. I chuckled again. "This is Project Insight. Three next generation Helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

"Launched from the Lemurian Star."

"Once we get them in the air they never need to come down. Continuous suborbital flight courtesy of our new repulsor engines."

"Stark?" Dad and I said in unison. 

" Well, he had a few suggestions once he got an up close look at our old turbines. These new long range precision guns can eliminate a thousand hostiles a minute. The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."

" I thought the punishment usually came after the crime." Dad said. 

"We can't afford to wait that long." Who's we? Dad must have read my mind cause he asked the same thing. 

" After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once we're way ahead of the curve." 

" By holding a gun at everyone on Earth and calling it protection." dad didn't look too happy. "You know, I read those SSR files. Greatest generation? You guys did some nasty stuff." Fury said trying to even it out. 

" Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so the people could be free. This isn't freedom, this is fear."

" SHIELD takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. It's getting damn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap."

"Don't hold your breath." Dad grabbed my arm and we walked out. 

~

I was in history chatting with Barry. "Dude I didn't know they were that crazy!" I said. "Well it's SHIELD. And it seems like Steve has a point. We can't stick a gun at someone's head and call it protection. I mean this is America. Why would we do such a thing?"

The teacher ran in. "Sorry I was late everybody! Today we are going to go to the Smithsonian Museum. Specifically the new exhibit on Captain America." Everyone cheered. I groaned. He's my dad. What do I not know about him?

Well after a long bus ride, we got to the museum. 

" A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery and sacrifice." I heard the narrator say. Me and Barry ran over to the exhibit that talked about his trials in WWII. 

"Welcome to the Smithsonian. Visitor information booths are available on the second level. "I heard a woman say on the P.A.

 "Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier." The Smithsonian narrator continued. We walked over to the old footage recordings. " In this rare footage, everyone's favorite war hero, Captain America..." We saw mannequins with Dad's old commando squad. 

"Battle tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission, taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division." We walked over to a display of a man named Bucky Barnes.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

"How come I didn't know about Bucky?" I asked myself. I turned around and saw Barry staring at a television. On the TV it showed Peggy, she looked a bit older but she still had her flawless hair.  " Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would...who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life. After the tragic event, I found out I had a daughter named Brooklyn. She was our daughter. I raised her myself. One day I took her to work with me, and well.. She went missing and nobody ever saw her again."

A/N: AAA the book is finally moving forward!

1116 words!