Chapter 22

That night, Joseph was filled with something he had never felt before. He felt lighter, his footsteps floating across the stone. His head was clear, his heart was destined with a purpose. He wouldn't be weighed down much longer. Brant wouldn't be around much longer either, but he could live with that. Anyone could live with that.

This feeling? It is freedom.

Well, maybe there was one someone who wouldn't want to live with Brant's disappearance. And they wouldn't have to, because Joseph was about to tell her the truth, right now.

His suitcases packed and gripped tightly in his left hand, Joseph light leaped to the house in France.

There, Jolie was waiting for him. "I got your message. What's wrong? Did something happen?" Jolie asked as soon as she saw him. Her face was worried and beautiful, her lips tight with concern and her turquoise eyes searched his.

"Something did happen." But Joseph was grinning wildly, his eyes ablaze, similar to the fire he yielded. "I'm leaving the Lost Cities."

"What?!" Jolie exclaimed. "I know life has been hard on you, unable to use your ability and deemed talentless, but I think we can be happy here... you can be happy here, Brant."

"Yes we can. Here, in Colmar, France." Joseph said, gently taking her hand.

"No, back home." Jolie corrected. "We can't run away. What would our world do without us?" She said lightly, a teasing smile forming on her lips.

"I've been running away my whole life." Joseph confessed. "If this works, I'll only have to do it one more time. And you can come, too. You already said yes once." He pointed to the engagement ring on her finger.

"You're not joking." Jolie said, peering at his face. "You're being serious. How... how can you be leaving the Lost Cities? Wait-" She looked at him curiously. "What do you mean, you've been running away your whole life?"

"Jolie, I have something to tell you." He said in a rush, suddenly quite nervous. "I should've told you this a long time ago. But I want to ask one thing and I want you to answer honestly, okay?"
"Of course." Jolie said.

A pause.

"Do you love me?" Joseph asked.

"Of course I do." Jolie said, bringing her hand to his cheek. "I've loved you since the day you took me to the lake." She whispered, reliving the beautiful memory.

"And I love you." Joseph whispered back. "And I've always loved you and if one thing is true, it is that I love you, Jolie Ruewen. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. And this place, this small cottage, can be our place of safety, okay? This can be our forever home, okay? You can always come here. I want you to know that." His breath caught and small tears were forming.

"Brant, you're supposed to save this for the wedding vows." Jolie laughed but it was off. She knew something was wrong.

He winced. "Jolie... my name is not Brant."

...

She laughed at first.

And then she became serious.

And then she was confused.

Finally, understanding.