Forward

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Forty-Two

Forward

***

Ed had let Marina cry for quite some time there in that back alley. It was heart-wrenching, seeing her so distraught, and he couldn't do anything to stop it. He knew this was inevitable, finding out the truth— but he hated seeing her so upset.

"It's really impossible," he heard her say into his chest.

"We don't know that yet," Ed said softly into her hair. "I'll figure something out." She shook her head with a shaky sigh.

"I appreciate it, Ed, but it's alright," she said, pulling away slightly, looking up at him with glassy eyes. "This isn't your problem— it's mine. So, don't worry, okay? I'm just grateful you're here."

Ed frowned as she nuzzled further into his chest, her forehead resting in the crook of his neck, and he sighed frustratedly. He had the words formulated in his head, lingering at the tip of his tongue; 'I may be able to figure out a way to send you back'— but he couldn't say it. The way Father framed it, whatever had shown up on her stomach linked to her father and that journal of his. There had to be something in there, something that could explain that strange circle that had appeared briefly on her flesh. Though it was different – simpler in form – it reminded him of the human transmutation circle he had used to return from the void of Gluttony's stomach. If it were a different kind of transmutation circle, maybe one linked to her world that Ed hadn't seen before, it could be her ticket home. If he and Ling had managed to have crossed to Truth's gate using human transmutation, it was probable that she could too. Ed wanted to tell her. He almost had. But he swallowed the words back, holding her tighter instead. He decided that he wouldn't tell her, not until he could guarantee that she'd really return to her home safely. He wasn't sure how he could do that but decided it best not to get her hopes up until he could. He didn't want to let her down. Something else had stopped him from telling her, something he couldn't quite explain, but it was something he at the very least understood to be selfish. Whatever that something was, it wasn't for her sake he hadn't mentioned it.

"We should probably head back. I'm sure Al is waiting for us," Ed said eventually. Marina sniffled.

"Right," she said, pulling away. She wiped her face, red and blotchy. They began making their way back, and just before they reached the hotel, a military officer came running up to them. Ed stepped out in front of Marina warily, still unsure of who in the military could be trusted or not.

"You're a state alchemist, right?" the man asked, pointing to the pocket watch chain on Ed's hip.

"I might be," Ed answered skeptically.

"Could you come and help us fix a woman's balcony?" the man asked, gesturing down the street.

"I would, but I've got to get my friend inside, sorry—" Ed began, but he felt a light tap on his arm. He turned to Marina.

"It's alright, Ed," she said. "You can go." Ed looked between Marina and the officer.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" he asked.

"I'll be fine. Al should be back," she said, taking the coat he had draped over her from her shoulders. She held it out to him, letting him shrug his arm into the sleeve, helping him get his other arm into it. As she moved her hand away, Ed grasped it.