Keep No Secrets

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Twelve

Keep No Secrets

*** 

I had been chasing the brothers all over Central when we entered a district with quite a few abandoned buildings and damaged infrastructure. When I realized the boys had stopped at one of these buildings, surrounded by a thick cement wall and lined with barbed wire— I slowed my pace until I was about fifty feet away. Catching my breath, I watched as they looked around the corner, and I snuck up behind them.

"A guard posted at an unused building, interesting," Ed said.

"That is suspicious," Al agreed.

"More suspicious than you bone heads?" I asked my hands on my hips. Ed and Al turned to me quickly, startled. In one swift motion, each of them grabbed one of my arms and dragged me to the center of the previous street. "What the hell—" I began but was shushed as Ed placed a gloved hand over my mouth. The boys looked over their shoulders, keeping their steady hold on me. They relaxed after a few seconds, and Ed looked into my eyes.

"When I move my hand, you have to keep your voice down. Okay?" I rolled my eyes in response but nodded. He released me, and Al did the same. "What are you even doing here?"

"I could ask you two the same question," I said, crossing my arms.

"We're here for research," Ed said curtly.

"What kind of research brings you to an abandoned building after sneaking out in the middle of the night?"

"Research that doesn't concern you," Ed retorted.

"I'd argue that if it's about the stone, it does concern me," I said, pulling the object in question from my shirt.

"We can't tell you," Ed said, matter-of-factly.

"That's bullshit, and you know it," I said, my voice slightly raised.

"Marina, please keep your voice down," Al said, looking around.

"Sure, no problem," I shrugged. "Just tell me what's going on, and I'll gladly be quieter."

"We can't," Ed hissed.

"Can't and won't aren't the same," I said.

"Marina, please," Al pleaded. "We can't. Not now."

Ed elbowed his brother. His hollow body echoed in response.

"Not now? Then when?" I asked. Ed glared at Al then looked at me.

"Look, we don't know when, if ever," he said. I frowned. "But right now, you need to leave."

"I'm not leaving, not until you tell me what's going on," I said, sitting on the ground. Ed crouched next to me.

"This isn't a game, Marina," he said lowly. I looked up to him, a fire in my eyes.

"I never said it was. I'm dead serious. You're keeping things from me, and I don't like it. Plus, isn't your job to watch me? What if I get mugged on the way home?" I asked innocently. Ed closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

"Fine, if this is how you want it," Ed said, standing. "Al, give me a boost."

Al crouched slightly and cupped his hands together. I watched them in confusion. Ed stepped into his brothers' hands and, with a grunt from Al, was sent sailing to the top of the wall. I clamored to stand.