Swallowed Fear

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Twenty-Three

Swallowed Fear

*** 

I blinked a few times, my mouth suddenly dry. I didn't speak; I had no idea what to say. Mustang looked at me keenly for a few moments, the only sound in the room the pounding of my heart, which I was sure he could hear. I had so many questions of my own that I wanted answered— I could barely think of one to his.

"Carter Wayde," he said eventually, picking the book up from the table and opening it. I felt my heart rate spike and investigated my lap, trying to hide my face. He flipped through the book as he continued. "I fought alongside him in Ishval. He and I were always butting heads, his water versus my fire." He closed the book with a sudden thump that made me jump.

"What are you talking about," I said, feigning innocence. "I thought you didn't know a Wayde, Colonel." I didn't dare to lift my gaze.

"It took me a bit to remember, but you jogged my memory. He was more reserved, a bit cowardly— easily forgettable in the midst of battle. He didn't strike me as the bold type. The only thing he proved good for was putting out my fires," he continued. "He was more a man concerned with the creation side of alchemy, not exactly suited for destructive wartime duty. He was always going on in the barracks about how alchemy could be used for something better, bigger than war and devastation. He was a fool to think what he did manage to accomplish was somehow heroic."

I furrowed my brows, confused. Was he really talking about the man Elias had? The man I had seen in my memory? There were so many versions of my father that I really couldn't tell which one was true.

"Look, I don't know what you're going on about, but I have nothing to do with it—"

"I thought it was a coincidence at first," he said, ignoring me and folding his hands behind his back. He held the book steadfast in his grip as he paced to the window. "Your last names matched, but that wasn't enough. When you restrained Scar on that day in East City, however, I started to investigate. You transmuted the water, just as he would, though you use the same technique as Fullmetal."

"I had no idea what I was doing," I answered truthfully. Back then, a voice urged me to transmute the water. It was reflexive.

"Whether you meant it or not, your transmutation style was a near copy. It would make sense if his blood is running through your veins. Though I must admit, I was quite surprised— you're a lot braver than he was."

"What are you saying here?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"This belonged to Carter, though unfortunately, it doesn't detail his family lineage. It does, however, disclose that he successfully created the Philosopher's Stone alongside Dr. Marcoh and subsequently stole it from the military before going AWOL," he said, methodically fingering the sides of the journal. I looked up at him in surprise. Carter did what? I thought. "He had some guts, after all. I'd even wager that it's the very stone around your neck."

Mustang waved the book and pointed it at me as he finished spinning his accusations. I clenched the chain of the necklace, my pulse racing at my neck.

Should I tell him? I thought frantically. I hadn't even told Ed or Al about my father. It didn't seem like he had a very amicable relationship with Carter, which made me wary, but he hit the nail on the head. He knew even more than I did; I hadn't realized Carter had stolen the stone, but it made sense. I highly doubted the military would just willingly let him have it. He had done his homework, and I couldn't deny that he had done it well.