Chapter 5: New Beginnings

Marinette's dreams are filled with her favorite cat. She loves how she can be herself around him and he can do the same. Seeing Chat Noir be so vulnerable and committed to her is something she admires about him. He's direct and decisive, opposite to her.

Towards the end of the night, Marinette has a dream of Adrien. It started out as a good dream, she was invited into his house. He said he loved her and wanted to show her his true self. Marinette felt so happy and trusted but then the dream took a turn. He had a secret layer underneath his bedroom, swarming with black butterflies. "Be my partner Marinette, we can rule Paris together but first you have to give me your miraculous." Adrien lunges at her and Marinette wakes up panting.

"Were you having a bad dream Marinette?" Tikki looks concerned.

Marinette catches her breath, "Yeah." Marinette explains her dream to Tikki. "What does it mean Tikki!?"

"I don't know Marinette. Maybe you're worried you don't know Adrien as well as you think."

"Now that I think about it, me and Adrien don't talk very often..."

"I think your rendezvous with Chat Noir put things in perspective."

The following week Chat Noir visits Marinette every night, even after patrol with Ladybug. "Whatever happened to the girl you have a club with, Chat Noir?" Marinette asks one night.

"Already taken care of. What about Luka?"

"I'll tell him soon."

Towards the end of the school week, classmates are busy making arrangements for the dance. It's going to be held in the Le Grande Paris Hotel for all of the nearby highschools on Friday night. Marinette is sitting with friends at lunch when Luka shows up. "Hey Marinette I got out of class early!"

"Oh hi Luka!"

"I was wondering if I'd see you at the dance." Adrien is jealous watching from across the table.

Marinette looks around to see that most people at the table are watching. "Actually, I've been meaning to talk to you about something. Can we go someplace else?"

Luka looks worried but follows her into the hallway. "What's up?"

"Look, I'm really sorry but I've decided I don't want any kind of relationship right now. I've been under a lot of pressure lately and I need to work on myself."

Luka looks disappointed. He smiles anyways, "It's okay Marinette. I'm here if you change your mind." He pulls her into a hug.

"Thank you, Luka."

Thankfully Luka's good attitude towards life makes him mostly immune to akumas. Luka goes back to class.

Tikki flies out of Marinette's purse and gets in her face. "Why did you lie, Marinette!? You're involved with Chat Noir, not working on yourself!"

"Come on Tikki, I couldn't tell him I was seeing a superhero."

"You should just be more careful."

Tikki returns to Marinette's purse and she heads back into the cafeteria. "What was that about, Girl?" Alya questions.

"Oh um- I'll you later."

"If you say so."

That night Ladybug meets Chat Noir on the rooftop. "Hey Chat."

"Hey LB. Um- can we talk for a minute before patrol?"

Ladybug sits down. "Oh course, what's on your mind."

"I'm sure you've heard of the masquerade dance around here in our honor... Well I was hoping I could have a dance with you."

Ladybug is completely surprised by this, "I thought you had a girlfriend or something."