Chapter 12 - I Just Want You

Sara knew she couldn't wait any longer to see Ava, she needed to let her know how she felt about her, that she was in love with Ava. Sara decided to leave straight away and drive to DC to win back the woman she had completely fallen in love with. The night was lit up by the full moon as Sara threw a few clothes in her bag and jumped in the car to travel the 4-hour drive to DC.

Her memories kept returning back to the first time her and Ava kissed in the cabin, Ava's soft warm lips on hers, the electricity she felt when they touched. Sara wished she could go back to the night she walked out on Ava and instead, hold her in her arms and not let go. She acted like a complete idiot, how could she have been so confused over someone who didn't come back to her, someone who watched her grieve from a distance. Nyssa, it was clear to her now that their love was gone a long time ago. That it had never held a candle to what Sara felt for Ava, Ava was her home, her soulmate. The pull with Ava was instant right from when she rescued her, when Ava fell into her arms. As she drove through the moonlit night along the endless highway, Sara rehearsed to herself how she was going to approach Ava, what she was going to say, how Ava would react. Did Ava still have feelings for her, would she let Sara in, would she even listen to Sara. She didn't know how things would unfold but she knew she would do anything to fight for Ava.

Ava was lying on her lounge dozing on and off, she had spent most of her time there since she got back from Star City, swallowed up in her own heartbreak. She was drained from crying, the emptiness she felt as Sara walked away from her was becoming unbearable. Since being rescued by Sara, she felt that they shared something special, that they were meant to be together and she thought Sara felt the same. It was dark when she woke up, looking around at her surroundings, she saw glimpses of the mess she had made highlighted by the streams of moonlight peering between the blinds, the mess she had created during her melancholy stupor. She pulled together the strength to start cleaning up the empty takeaway containers and wine bottles that spilled over from the coffee table onto the floor. After cleaning the lounge, she went upstairs to shower. She put on her t-shirt and long pyjama pants and went down to the kitchen to cook something to eat, she needed something to quell her hunger. She looked in the fridge that was almost bare except for some water bottles. Ava sighed; she didn't want anymore takeaway food so she went upstairs to change then left in the car to go to the supermarket.

Ava pulled up at the intersection as the light changed to red. She waited, tapping her hands on the steering wheel trying not to get caught up in the sadness echoing through her. French toast, she had a craving for French toast, it was a simple dish with few ingredients that wouldn't take her long in the shop to get. When the light changed to green, Ava proceeded through the intersection. It was instant as she felt the thud, the vibration rippled through her body, her hands still locked on the steering wheel while her car spun across the intersection. Everything became a blur.

Sara wasn't too far from DC when her phone rang. It was Randy Sharpe, "Director Sharpe, what can I do for you?" "Sara, please it's Randy. I have some news that I think you should know, it's Ava." The words were now stumbling out of his mouth. "She's been in a car accident." Sara's heart skipped a beat, she had to pull over to the side of the road, her hands trembling as she gathered her words. "Ava's been in an accident, is she ok?" "Pam and I are at the hospital." "Randy, I was on my way to see Ava, I'll come over to the hospital, I'm about 30 minutes away." "Sara, I'll meet you in the waiting room." When Sara got off the phone it hit her how terrified she was of losing Ava, her thoughts were a jumbled mess. Randy didn't say anything about Ava's condition and his voice sounded heavy with sadness, as tough as Ava was, Sara began assuming the worst, she tried to prepare herself for the worst.

When Sara made it to the hospital, she raced up to the waiting room to find Randy. "Hi Sara, I'm sorry you are here under these circumstances." "Hi Randy, how is she?" "I'll take you in to see her." Sara followed Randy down the corridor, her heart was racing, not knowing what to expect. She followed him into one of the rooms where she saw Ava lying on a bed with a Doctor checking her over, Pam was standing next to the bed. Randy walked over to Ava, "Hon, Sara's here, your Mum and I will be back tomorrow to check in on you." Randy kissed Ava on the forehead and as he and Pam walked out of the room he remarked to Sara, "Ava's all yours," winking at Sara on the way out. Sara stood gobsmacked at Randy's remark, then looked over to Ava, both women had their eyes locked on each other.