Chapter 5 - I Feel Like Hell

Mick lay Ava on the treatment bed as Amaya checked over Ava's wounds. Ava floating in and out of consciousness groaned in pain as Amaya tended to the stab wound on her lower abdomen. As soon as they were airborne, Sara left Nate in the cockpit while she went to check in with Amaya on Ava's condition. "Sara, I have her sedated for now. Ava has lost quite a lot of blood from the stab wound to her lower abdomen. She may have a minor jaw fracture and some broken ribs but I won't be sure until I can get x-rays done. She's had a rough time of it since her abduction." "Thanks Amaya, I better give Hank a call and let him know we've got her." Sara contacted Hank and briefed him on the situation with Ava. They discussed which medical facility would be best to deal with Ava's injuries and provide adequate protection for Ava. It was decided they would take her to the Bureau's medical facility at Star City. It was more of a research facility but it did have a medical ward with an operating room and it operated in secrecy. Keeping Ava safe while recovering from her injuries was paramount until they caught the group working for Ra's Al Ghul. Hank and Sara agreed that Amaya would keep treating Ava and her team could provide internal security with the Bureau responsible for the external security. "Hank we'll see you at the base."

Sara checked in on Nate to see if he needed a break from flying before she went back to the med bay to check in on Ava. Amaya treated Ava's wounds as best she could and was sitting by Ava monitoring her when Sara returned. Sara explained the arrival plan to Amaya and said she would sit with Ava for awhile to give Amaya a break. Sara sat next to Ava, looking over her bruised and bloodied body. Sara speaking to Ava as she lay asleep, "Your one tough woman Agent Sharpe to go through what you've been through. You'll be in good hands when we get back, we'll keep you safe." Sara grabbed a sponge, dampened it and began to wipe off the dried blood from Ava's body. Underneath the damage Ava's body endured, Sara noticed how beautiful this blonde woman was lying in front of her. How toned Ava's body felt beneath her fingers as they brushed against Ava's skin while she wiped away the dried flakes of blood. She kept replaying the memory of holding Ava in her arms as she held her up when Mick cut her down. Feeling her arms around Ava was making her body tingle from excitement. Sara felt the butterflies sweep across her stomach and a heated blush crept across her face. Sara scorned herself for how she felt as she watched Ava. Sara's thoughts were interrupted when Amaya entered the med bay. "Sara, we're not far off, Nate needs you back in for landing." "Yeah sure." Sara left to go back to the cockpit.

They taxied along the runway toward the Hangar where a white unmarked van was waiting. As they disembarked, Hank was waiting with a man and a woman. When they wheeled Ava off the plane on a gurney, the man and woman ran over to her, the woman sobbing as she held Ava's hand. Hank spoke to Sara introducing her to Randy Sharpe. "Thank you, Miss Lance, for bringing Ava back to us, Pam and I can't tell you enough how grateful we are for your team getting her back alive." "Director Sharpe, we'll keep her safe for as long she needs it." Ava was loaded into the van which was setup the same as an ambulance. Amaya along with Pam Sharpe jumped in the back of the van. Sara turned to the rest of her team, "I'll take first watch with Ava, you guys get some rest, it's been a busy week." Sara went up to her loft to freshen up and grabbed a few things to take with her. She jumped in her car and headed off to the medical facility.

When Sara walked inside, Hank, Randy and Pam were sitting in the scattered couches in a little waiting room. Amaya came through a set of double doors and spoke to them about Ava's injuries. "I've had scans done and the stab wound to Ava has penetrated her liver, she also has 3 broken ribs. Good news is that she doesn't have a jaw fracture. She's awake but very groggy if you want to go in to see her before she goes into surgery."

Pam and Randy went into Ava's room and sat with her, Pam gently hugging her daughter for fear of hurting her. "Oh baby, we were so scared we thought we might have lost you." Tears were rolling down Pam's face. "Mom, I'm ok, it'll take a lot more than that to do me in." "Ava, you're in good hands, I've got agents outside the facility and the Legends will keep you protected in here." "Dad you don't need to have me protected here, no one knows about this place." Randy replied "Sweetheart I'm not going to take that chance." "I guess I'm not in any condition to argue with you. Which of the Legends is out there looking after me now?" "Miss Lance is here." "Oh Sara." Amaya walked into the room with a nurse, "We need to prep you for surgery, I'm sorry Mr and Mrs Sharpe you'll have to wait outside."