Chapter 7 - Cabin in the Woods

Sara couldn't shake the waves of butterflies lingering in her stomach as she drove to the cabin with Ava sitting next to her. They chatted while the landscape changed from the tall city buildings to the farm houses and rolling green pastures of farmland. Sara turned her black Jeep off the main road onto a thin grassy roadway when Ava remarked, "where are you taking me Miss Lance, should I be worried that you're a serial killer and no one ever sees me again." Sara explained to Ava the place they were going to was a log cabin, a place where her and her sister Laurel grew up spending many family holidays. By now the cabin began to appear in front of them as they continued down the laneway. They pulled up onto the grassy lawn in front where another vehicle was parked. Mick and Ray came out of the cabin, "Boss, we've done a sweep and the place is all clear." "Thanks Mick. Ray keep me updated if you and Zari find anything." "Sure thing Sara. Ava, enjoy your time out of that prison." "Thanks Ray."

Sara helped Ava out of the Jeep and gave Ava a quick tour inside. "This is it and it's one of the safest places I know, it's out of the way and Dad already has surveillance cameras setup. You'll be staying in this bedroom." Sara put Ava's bag on the bed. "Wow Sara this is a really cosy." "Well make yourself at home, I'll finish unpacking the car."

Ava followed Sara outside and sat on the porch swing watching Sara as she unpacked. She couldn't help admire the toned muscles of Sara's arms when they flexed under the weight of carrying bags and groceries inside. Sara caught Ava watching her. "So, you like these." Sara promptly raised her arms in a pose flexing her muscles to show off her 'guns', causing Ava to go bright red. When Sara had finished unpacking, she joined Ava on the porch handing Ava a glass of whisky. They sat in the afternoon sun talking as the sunlight faded to dusk.

"Well, I don't know about you Ava but I'm getting hungry, why don't you go freshen up and I'll get dinner started." "I could use a shower," Ava went inside to freshen up while Sara went to the kitchen. When Ava came out of the bedroom what she could smell coming from the kitchen made her stomach grumble. She pulled up a stool at the kitchen bench where Sara was getting dinner together. "Want some help?" "Definitely not, you're still recovering and I'm under strict instructions from Amaya of what you can and can't do." "Ok don't say I didn't ask. I just feel like I should be doing something." "Well, you can tell me about your obsession with murder mysteries and how you got into criminal profiling." Ava talked about what influenced her into her profession and her mentor at the Bureau, Rip Hunter. They sat eating dinner and recounted stories of growing up. Ava feeling the weight of tiredness take over her went to bed and Sara went outside to check in on the agents and do a perimeter sweep before she turned in for the night.

The following morning Sara found Ava sitting on the porch swing relaxed in the warmth of the morning sun. "Morning Ava, you're looking much better." "My ribs don't hurt so much now, I think I could run a marathon, must be the fresh country air." "How about we have breakfast and then I am taking you out." "Oh, where are you taking me today Miss Lance?" "I have a particular place in mind to explore, there will be a little bit of hiking to build up your strength if you feel up to it." "I am up for a bit of exploring."

After finishing breakfast, Sara packed a few things in the Jeep and they drove onto the grassy track that led behind the cabin into a thick treed forest. They continued for about 20 minutes listening to music on the radio until they came into a clearing where there was a string of mountain ranges that appeared before them. Ava noticed a small lake in the foreground and a waterfall. "We used to come to this lake to swim, the summers can get very hot here. There's a hike up to the top of the waterfall which takes about an hour. Ava are you up for it?" "If we take it slow, I'll be fine." Sara grabbed a backpack out of her car and threw it over her shoulders.

They headed off on their journey, stopping whenever Ava needed to take a breath. When they reached the crest of the ridge, a flowing stream ran alongside the trail they were on where the waterfall commenced its' descent over the rock edge. At the top of the waterfall Sara sat on a rock just above a pool of water, took her shoes off and dangled her feet into the cool pool of water below. "Coming to join me? It'll give us a chance to cool down and give you a rest." Ava sat down on the rock next to Sara, aware of how close they were sitting together, her heart began beating faster. Sara reached into her backpack and took out two bottles of water and salad rolls for her and Ava. As Sara handed Ava a bottle of water and a roll, their hands caught each other in passing causing Sara to feel the electricity of Ava's touch run through her. "That is an amazing view Sara, I'm jealous you had this to come to when you were growing up. We did family holidays once a year when Dad got time off." "So where did your parents take you for holidays?" "One year we went to the Grand Canyon. I'd read an article in a magazine about the trails you could ride a mule on and I really wanted to go. I kept on at Dad about it until he eventually caved in and said we could go. The holiday was good until I broke my wrist." "Oh really, how did you do that?" Ava recalled the story as they sat overlooking the landscape below.