nine.

THE GERMAN DAME - VOLUME 1chapter nine !

chapter nine !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

A language I didn't know. Steel grey cement walls around me. A walkway. And some type of weapon that glowed blue.

I stared all around the room with Elias balanced on my hip, his babbling quiet in my ear, and I continued to walk in the room, the floor cold against my feet. The door clicked shut behind us, and I sighed shakily. The weapon hummed in the silence. Then, a voice echoed throughout the room, and I jumped.

"For our notes, Miss Herrmann, can you please state your name and confirm your status?"

I swallowed. "Aesira Herrmann. Captive."

I stared at the weapon. What exactly was I meant to do? I wasn't told anything. Looking at Elias on my hip, I exhaled and placed him on the floor to avoid him getting hurt in this process, waiting for further instructions. The voice came back.

"Touch the sample."

My entire body started to tremble as I began to slowly walk towards the weapon, as it was the only other thing in the room, and looked back at Elias. He seemed distracted by something, so I looked at the weapon that glowed blue. It'd started to rattle, and I watched as the blue escaped the weapon's clutches and floated in mid-air. I was still unbelievably wary, but it put me in a trance. I started to continue to walk towards it, but it started to float towards me. I swallowed again. Then, remembering my instructions, I reached out my hand to touch it. So, I did, and the room changed from blue to yellow. Even Elias, in the corner of my eye, looked up in curiosity. Then, before my eyes, it exploded before me.

Elias screamed. "Si!"

But the yellow turned to black instantly.

Oxygen was trying to claw its way into my lungs as sweat drenched my heaving body and the sheets below me. My eyes snapped open, and, for a moment, I feared that the darkness around me contained my cell and that I was back at HYDRA, being experimented on. I tried to look through the darkness frantically as I begged for breath and clumsily made my way out of my bed, blindly stumbling toward the nearest exit. I didn't know what was going on, but I didn't like it. I stopped when a metal bar found my hands and began to hyperventilate, still trying to get some air into me, as panicked noises escaped my lips. After a few seconds, cold air filled my nose and began to calm me down enough to be aware of my surroundings. I was in the stairwell outside the flat. I was in Bucharest in Romania. My imprisonment was over years ago. I was safe. Somewhat. Still shaking and trying to swallow the lump in my throat, I stayed clinging to the railing until my breathing calmed down more, but it seemed like it wouldn't. I felt lightheaded suddenly and, oddly enough, incredibly nauseous the more I hyperventilated. And that was when Bucky decided to storm out.