CHAPTER 13

Sir Benjamin was clearly distressed. When Constance had collapsed into his arms his heart dropped from panic. He never thought something like this would actually happen. The stray pearl that fell from her hairpiece had quickly been tucked into his pocket in order to carry her up to her room. The narrow staircase admittedly was a challenge as he carried her up.

Miss Heliotrope had nearly fainted herself when seeing Constance in his arms but he had snapped at her so that she could be of some use. The few minutes he was outside her chamber seemed like years. The governess was getting her out of the heavy gown that Constance wore and into her nightdress and gown. Once the door had opened for him, he was in there within seconds.

Constance was now in her bed with the sheets pulled over her. Her closed eyes were sunken and her forehead was decorated with beads of sweat. "Miss Heliotrope go downstairs and find Digweed. Tell him to bring up a bowl of cold water and a linen cloth." The middle-aged woman stuttered words he could not make out before he demanded she make haste.

Sir Benjamin noticed the decorated comb, which he never thought he would see again, placed onto the dressing table at the side of the bed and decided to reunite the stray pearl with its partner. He knew exactly what they were and it was another reminder that they were not living in some fairy tale book.

He then turned back to the bed and took a few paces before he was beside the sleeping girl. His hand extended until it was placed onto her forehead as he felt the seemingly climbing temperature. Constance unknowingly flinched at the touch. Why does it have to be her, he muttered with tears in his eyes. Rushing footsteps caused Sir Benjamin to put up his walls once more before he was again in the company of household members."

"Ere be the bowl and cloth Sir!" Digweed was puffing and panting with the bowl of water swishing from the movement. "Good, bring it over here." He nodded and placed it on the bedside table. Miss Heliotrope then arrived practically falling into the room whilst holding the doorframe panel. "I'm...here!" She panted out. Sir Benjamin could not prevent his eye roll and felt more stressed with her around.

"Madam, please wait downstairs either in your own chambers or one of the main rooms I will let you know of any changes." She tried to interject but from the look in his eyes she knew better and scurried out unwillingly. Once she was gone, he turned to Digweed. "Fetch Marmaduke for me and give him a briefing before you send him up." Again, his loyal manservant nodded and rushed downstairs after closing the door behind him.

Sir Benjamin then rushed into action. He dipped the soft cloth into the cool water and then wrung it out to get rid of the excess water before placing it gently onto his niece's forehead. He noticed her body tense from the sudden coolness touching it before relaxing again.

There were two sounds in the room. The first, Constance's soft breathing. The second, her Uncle's leather boots pacing back and forth across the carpet. A knock on the door halted him in his tracks. He did not want his niece to be disturbed, he decided rather than calling anyone in he would answer it personally. He let out a noticeable sigh when he saw the familiar shorter man standing before him.

He extended his arm signalling for the man to enter and his usually plain features softened when he saw the girl. "So, it has started then Sir?" The nobleman ran a hand through his dark hair and nodded hesitantly before asking "Is there anything to be done?" Marmaduke stood still for a few moments trying to recall any ways of stopping the events that would come before shaking his head glumly. "I'm afraid not Sir. Unless matters are resolved the curse will come to pass in all matters." The chief chef hung his head low unable to look his master in the eyes.

"There must be some way!" In his rage his hands harshly slammed against the table he stood beside. "Perhaps it is time to tell her? It is no longer possible to pretend it will not happen." Marmaduke was hesitant to ask as he knew his master's views on the subject however, there was no denying them now. "I can't." He muttered sadly. "I can't give her that news."