CHAPTER 3

The new day had begun. The day she dreaded. Constance lay flat on her back against the soft mattress and stared at the ceiling deep in thought. Everything she knew was being left behind today. Memories of her mother and father danced across her mind and a small smile came to her lips before disappearing. She could not deny the fact that she was apprehensive of what the future held for herself and her young innocent sister but, there was something almost exciting about stepping out of the city. Somewhere she could maybe find tranquillity in the green fields rather than the overly populated streets.

Her eyes trailed over the curtains across from her. She was extremely puzzled as to how her window, for two days in a row, had opened seemingly on its own. A brown hue could be seen peeking out from underneath them.

Curious as to what it was, Constance leapt from her comfortable bed for the last time and made her way towards the unusual object. Her hands gripped the edges of both curtains and pushed them open allowing the sunlight into her room. She closed her eyes briefly due to the overwhelming brightness but then turned her attention to the floor.

A single falcon's feather lay before her feet underneath the windowsill. Constance crouched down and observed the unusual find in her small hands. Her fingers brushed against the softness of the feather but where on earth had it come from? Birds of prey, such as falcons, she thought did not venture into the city. They thrived in the wild, in their natural environment. So how did it get in here? A knock on the door caused the girl to quickly rise from her crouched position. "Who is it?"

"The most amazing sister in the whole world of course!" Constance rolled her eyes but could not help but laugh, her feet moved for her quickly placing the feather on her dressing table before opening the door, the hinge creaking softly as she did.

Before her eyes stood a half-dressed Maria. Her younger sister's eyes scanned her from top to bottom and huffed in the process. "Can you believe Miss Heliotrope?" The copper headed girl practically shoved past her sister and dramatically fell onto the bed. "What has happened now?" Constance asked while shutting the door.

"She thinks she knows how I feel! One moment she's overly nice the next she's just her overly large drawers in a twist!" Maria's usually pale face was turning redder by the second. "Maria! You cannot say such things!" Constance stated. "And why not? She is not on your case from the morning to evening each day."

The older sister sat beside the sulking girl and placed an arm around her shoulders. "I know that she can become... overbearing sometimes but, you still need to hold respect for her. She has been with us all our life, taken care of us in all manners of things. When I was your age I felt just as you are now, she seemed to be even stricter than usual. She was taught that from early adolescence a girl should begin her social life. She is just doing what she was taught. Even now she tells me off for the littlest of things. But I know she means well."

Maria's eyes lifted to her sister's. "I think I should go and apologise. I raised my voice at her." Constance nodded with a reassuring smile. "That is a very good idea, and very sensible of you too. But do not forget to finish getting ready, we cannot leave while you still have one stocking on and your hair is as tangled as a bird's nest. We leave soon, and we still have to say goodbye to everyone."

The older girl did not want to show her sadness. She had to be responsible and care for her sister, and that meant being strong today. She took Maria's right hand in her left and pulled her out of the room earning a loud laugh from her sister. "You're treating me like a child Constance!" She struggled to get her sentence out as she continued to giggle.

"That would be because you are one." She retorted sarcastically and a toothy smile made its way across her face. It was as if the girls had the previous lively energy they once had. "Now off you go." Maria nodded and skipped down the hall either to her chamber or to their governess, she did not know which.