CHAPTER 2

The morning sun peeked daringly through the thick patterned curtains as it begged Constance to rise and start the new day. However, she was known for not caring much for early mornings. Instead, she preferred the soft glow of the moonlight. It felt much more serene to her.

Nevertheless, it was time to rise. She knew Miss Heliotrope did not tolerate her lateness in the mornings. The warmth of the duvet left her as she pushed it to the bottom of the metal-framed bed and realised the coldness had been intensified due to her large window being slightly ajar.

Her brows furrowed from confusion. She was sure that she had not opened that yesterday. It was a colder night than usual for that time of year, and she had not wanted to freeze but it seems that plan had been deserted.

In her sleepy state, she underestimated her strength and the window slammed closed with a loud bang. The startled cry of her governess could be heard from down the hall and within seconds a concerned knock could be heard on her door. "Is everything alright in there my dear?" Her hand rubbed her eyes, in an attempt, to wake herself up before replying. "Yes, Miss Heliotrope, all is well."

"What on earth was that racket? Never mind now. Are you nearly ready? Breakfast is being served imminently and we have a busy day ahead." Without a moment to spare her loud footsteps could be heard disappearing down the long corridor, not waiting to hear the girl's reply. She was no doubt on her way to wake Maria, who was far worse in the morning.

Constance made her way over to the opposite side of the room where her tall wardrobe stood. It had some fine carvings delicately put into its structure along with being painted a pristine white. Much like her ceiling, she felt blinded when looking at it.

Most of her clothes had been folded into the large cases beside her bed ready for tomorrow. Only two remained. The first being for today, the second for her journey tomorrow. Constance had decided on a simpler gown for her long day.

Its colour was a dark mauve in a satin fabric with only a small strip of gold-laced embellishment at the top just below the uncovered skin of her chest and neck. Underneath it, she wore her undergarments which consisted of a shift and a corset. Constance loved the shape it gave her and always felt regal when fully dressed. She was of the class where fine clothing was compulsory. She was not sure how it all worked in the country though. Here she was confident in her station but out there was a different story. Her heeled boots today were of a similar colour to the dress she wore and reached up to her ankles. She was grateful for the silky stockings as the chill from her room still had not left her body.

As she opened the door with her head held high, she was met by some of the maids doing their daily chores. They sent her warm smiles, but she could see the sadness within their eyes. Not only were they sad for two girls losing their father but they were also having to leave their jobs. Something that a lot of them rely on to keep their families alive. Constance felt guilty. But she knew there was nothing she could do. Everything had been lost.

She opened the dining-room door and found the room empty. Constance presumed that Maria had yet again overslept. Her suspicions proved correct when she heard the bickering occurring upstairs. "Maria Merryweather! You have slept long enough! Perhaps if you would have listened to me last night and gone straight to bed early, we would not be facing this problem!" The elder of the two girls giggled to herself.

Seeing as she was alone Constance decided to enjoy a bowl of the homemade porridge, still steaming, up in her room. The sooner she got everything done today the better. She knew Miss Heliotrope would protest which is why she dashed as fast as her legs, and gown, would allow her upstairs and then sighed as the door clicked shut behind her.

The only type of seating area she had which provided her with a surface to place the porridge on was her dressing table near the window. Allowing the porridge to cool first her eyes scanned the busy streets of the city. Men, women, and children moved swiftly as they got on with their day.