9~ Jet

(01/29/23 update): sexual assault themes present in this chapter. i have marked where it begins and ends with an asterisk (*) in case you'd prefer not to read. apologies for not marking the chapter this way when i originally published, and my heart goes out to fellow SA victims. you're loved. thank you always<3

(Y/n) watched as Aang bounced up the trees to free Momo from his cage, hanging from a branch. How that little rascal got himself in trouble again, she'd never know.

"Alright, you too." Aang said in response to the two howling creatures still stuck in cages. He hopped up to a branch and climbed over to relieve them, until Sokka threw his boomerang to speed up the process.

Aang slid down to them as Sokka examined the opened traps. "These are Fire Nation traps. You can tell from the metalwork. We'd better pack up camp and get moving."

They tied up they rest of their supplies and laid them on Appa. "Uh-uh. No flying this time." Sokka says, reaching for the pack in Aang's clutch.

"What? Why wouldn't we fly?" Aang asks.

"Think about it. Somehow Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticeable."

"What? Appa's not too noticeable." (Y/n) says, stroking Appa lovingly. "You're not too noticeable, don't listen to the grump." She coos to the animal.

"Hes a gigantic, fluffy monster with an arrow on his head, it's kind of hard to miss him."

Appa groans at Sokka.

"I know you all wanna fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk."

(Y/n) rolls her eyes. Sokka's 'instincts' haven't been much help before. He's much better at calculated plans.

"Who made you the boss?" Katara asks, putting her hands on her hips and leaning towards her brother.

"I'm not the boss. I'm the leader." He juts his thumb at his chest.

Katara let's out a laugh. "You're the leader? But your voice still cracks."

"I'm the oldest and i'm a warrior," his voice cracks. "so i'm the leader." he lowers his voice to mask any cracks.

"If anyone's the leader, it's Aang. I mean, he is the Avatar." Katara bats her eyes and looks to Aang.

They all look to Aang, who hangs off of Appa's horn, grinning at them.

"Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader?" (Y/n) asks, picking at her nail.

"I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl." Katara smirks.

"I've kissed a girl." Sokka retorts. (Y/n) looks up. She didn't know that. "You just haven't met her."

(Y/n) snorts. "As if."

Sokka glares at her before remembering what lead to this argument. They decide to trust Sokka's "instincts" and go on foot.

Walking sucks. It was hot, she was clammy, and her feet hurt. How did she ever go anywhere without and flying bison?

(Y/n) could see the tips of Sokka's ears grow red as the two younger kids poked fun at Sokka's instincts.

"Look guys, i'm tired too, but the important thing is that we're safe from the Fire.. Nation."

Fire Nation soldiers all loitering around a campfire. They had the same look of shock on their faces that she could only assume that the kids had plastered on their own.

"Run!"

They were cut off by a firebender lighting the bush in front of them on fire, cutting them off. The soldiers covered any escape in front of them as the fire roared behind them.