6~ Sokka and the Spirits

After finding a boy named Haru, Katara accidentally getting him put in jail, then putting Katara in jail on purpose, busting her out and helping the imprisoned earthbenders escape, (Y/n) was tired. Tagging along with the Avatar was too exciting at times.

Luckily, she got moments of relaxation as they flew from place to place. Appa soared through the clouds as (Y/n) laid back in the saddle, the warm afternoon air brushing her cheeks. Katara laid on her stomach beside (Y/n), Sokka on the other side of Katara. He was sharpening something, but she tried to pay little attention to him. Aang sat at the reigns, glancing over to Katara every now and then.

"Those clouds look so soft, don't they?" Katara said dreamily. "Like you could jump down and you'd land on a big, soft cottony heap."

"Maybe you should give it a try." Sokka smirks.

"You're hilarious." Katara replies, rolling her eyes.

"I'll try it!" Aang yelps, immediately jumping off of Appa and into the clouds. The other three look over the saddle to watch him free fall down below.

Aang then plops down behind them, closing his glider. "Turns out clouds are made of water." He was soaking wet. He airbends himself dry.

"Hey, what is that?" (Y/n) asks, staring off to a large, darkened area of the forest ahead of them.

Aang leads Appa down, and they land in the middle of the scar-like area, as Sokka described it. It was burned and empty, charred ends of trees everywhere.

"Listen. It's so quiet. There's no life anywhere." Sokka says sombrely, bending down to touch some footprints.

"Aang, are you okay?" (Y/n) asks, wary of how quiet Aang was.

"Fire Nation! Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for—" Sokka yells.

Katara shushes him, and he watches as (Y/n) turns away from him, and back to Aang. She couldn't even look at him angrily. She had nothing left in her to try and fight him with.

She didn't even look angry anymore. She looked sad, disappointed. His heart sank a little bit when he had realized what he said. He didn't want to keep hurting her like this.

Aang dropped to his knees with a sigh. (Y/n) softly put a hand on his shoulder. "Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?"

"Aang, you didn't let this happen. It was nothing to do with you." (Y/n) reassured.

"Yes it does." He pouted. "It's the Avatars job to protect nature, but I don't know how to do my job."

"That's why we're going to the North Pole, to find you a teacher." Katara pipes in.

"Yeah, a waterbending teacher, but there's no one who could teach me how to be the Avatar." Aang looks to (Y/n), seeking comfort in her. "Monk Gyatso said that Avatar Roku would help me."

"He died over 100 years ago, how're you supposed to talk to him?" Sokka says, walking over to put his hand on Aang's free shoulder.

"I don't know." Aang said, leaning into (Y/n)'s leg, and hooking his arm around her calf.

Katara leaves for a minute, then comes back with her palm closed. "Hey Aang, ready to be cheered up?" She chucks an acorn at his head, and he loses his hook on (Y/n)'s leg.

"Ow! How is that cheering me up?"

Sokka steps back and laughs. "Cheered me up!" Katara throws another acorn at Sokka's head, the shock sending him flat on his ass. (Y/n) couldn't help but laugh at Katara's sudden display of enthusiasm.