Chapter 5- A Secret

Finn and Jake were running through a beautiful field of tall, lush grass. They were not, however, enjoying it. It wasn't supposed to be grassy here, or the sound of birds singing floating through the air,  because it was the Ice Kingdom, or what was left of it.  A look of seriousness masked both their faces, but Finn was also worried. He was worried for the Ice King.

     After Finn and PB had discovered the state of the Ice Kingdom, they decided to keep it a secret from everyone, except Jake and Peppermint Butler. It seems hard to believe but Princess Bubblegum explained no one ever looks around the horizens, so no one would notice right away, especially with the disaster in the Candy Kingdom. They were all too busy clenaning up to look around. Finn, however, wanted to tell Marceline right away, but PB thought it best not to.

     Marceline is always singing out how she feels and what's on her mind. Imagine if she accidently sang about the Ice Kingdom, or about how it's melting?

     Jake and Peppermint Butler agreed with PB so, despite Finn disapprovel, it was agreed upon to keep Marceline out of the loop.

     After everyone was caught up to speed, PB ordered Finn and Jake to investigate the Ice Kingdom, and locate the Ice King. Peppermint Butler was in charge of creating a distraction to keep the candy people and Marceline from noticing the missing Ice Kingdom. Peppermint Butler seemed a bit cheerful about this, so he got to work right away. No one knew what he was going to do, but he assured all of them he knew just what he had to do. The way he said it gave Finn the creeps, but no one else seemed to notice.

     Now, Finn and Jake were in the Ice Kingdom and they realized just how much it had changed. Birds and insects were creating their homes all around, and the temperature was only slightly cooler compared to the Candy Kingdom. It would usually take Finn and Jake a few hours to reach the Ice Kings mountain, but with no snow in their way they reached the mountians base in no time at all.

      "Hey Jake," Finn whispers,"Boost me up so I can look in the window."

     "Alrighty. Hold on tight." Jake streches up easily to the window, following Finn inside.

     The room looks completly different. The floors are rocky but there seems to be floor boards mixed in. An old sofa now sits where the old Ice chair used to be, and the walls are bare.

     "Hey, Ice King?" Finn whispers,"Are you here?..." Jake shiveres.

     "Finn, I don't like this. This place used to send bad vibes through me before, but now it's, like, mega bad vibes." Finn ignores Jake and continues to look around.

      "Let's go check the rooms." Finn says,"Maybe the Ice King is in one of them."

     "Aw man..."

     They check all the bedrooms, but there's no one to be found. Eventually they leave the mountain, and lay out in the feild. Finn doesn't know where the Ice King could be.

     "Um, Jake?"

     "Hmm?"

     "Do you think that the Ice King just moved away or something? I mean, all his penguins are gone too. Maybe wherever he lives, the penguins and ice follow him..."

     "Maybe, but where could he have gone?"

     "I don't know." Finn sits up and notices somthing shining in the distance. "What's that?" Finn gets up and runs over to the object. "Hey Jake, look, it's a diary or something..." Finn cleans off the new roots that had begun to grow on it, revealing the initials, S.P. "Should we read it?" Jake shrugs, then nodds.

     "Maybe it was the Ice Kings." Jake suggests," It might tell us where he is." Finn isn't so sure about reading it.

     "But isn't that like breaking into his privacy or something?"

     "Come on Finn. He left it out in the open. Anyone could have walked by and read it, so what's the harm in reading it?" Finn looks at its torn cover.

     "I guess you're right..."

     Finn starts to open the book, but a twig snaps nearby, causing Finn and Jake jump. Finn pulls out his sword. Both stare into the shadows of the treeline, but they can't see much. Silently, a mysterious figure shifts in the shadows.

     "Reveal yourself!" Finn shouts,"What are you, a coward?!" 

     The figure moves forward into the sunlight.

     Finn and Jake both stare in disbelief.

     "Gunther?!" They shout.

     "Wenk."