17: Gray Clouds

SEVENTEEN
Gray Clouds

Elias picked Mars up from school that day. When he texted her to let her know, she responded with a shit ton of prayer hand emojis.

She threw herself into the passenger seat when she reached his car, letting out a heavy sigh. "I hate the bus," she stated, shoving her backpack down at her feet before tugging on her seatbelt. "The AC is broken like, most of the time and everyone is loud. Also my seat partner doesn't stop talking even if I'm blasting music in my headphones."

Elias cracked an amused smile. "Sounds about right. I was so excited for when I finally got my license so I didn't have to take the bus anymore."

"Waiting impatiently," she mumbled. "Wait, so how were you able to pick me up?"

"Had a surprise off day."

Her lips formed an 'o.' "Nice. I bet you still worked all day though."

Elias frowned. "I didn't."

She gasped dramatically. "You did something other than work?"

"You act like that's shocking. When did you get so sassy? I could take away your phone."

Mars pursed her lips. "You already said you'd never do that."

"Correct. But I still have some tricks up my sleeve."

Mars snorted. Elias smiled to himself. There was a reason why he'd never take her things away from her just because she did something wrong. Several of them, actually. Everyone had something they relied on for comfort, entertainment, socializing, anything of the sort. It was obvious she resorted to her phone and computer for those things.

He'd be a shitty parent for punishing her by taking away the things she found comfort in.

He knew well enough what that could do to a kid. Having his stuff taken away when he was growing up solely because he talked back or forgot a chore, didn't do his homework or got one bad grade — it made him loathe his parents. And for good reason. He didn't want Mars to deal with what he had to.

There was no need for punishments as long as you communicated with your child in a healthy manner. It was that simple.

"Oh, guess what?" Mars asked suddenly. Elias hummed in response. "So, Lily goes on a spring break trip with her parents every year. She invited me this time. Can I go?"

Elias glanced at her before looking back at the road. "Where?"

"Just to Galveston. It's like, an hour away, right?"

"Yeah..." It wasn't that bad of a distance, but he still didn't know Lily's moms that well. He was sure they were responsible, but anxiety ate at his brain. "I'll think about it, okay?"

"Why can't I just go? They're nice. You've talked to them. There's two adults, and it's just me and Lily."

"Do you want me to come with?"

"No," Mars groaned. "Two adults, remember? I'll be fine. Please?"

"You said you got anxiety from being away from home though," Elias pointed out, frowning a little. "You're doing well with sleepovers now, but you'll be an hour away this time, Mars. I can't just go and pick you up if you feel bad."

"I'll be fine!" she exclaimed again. "I'm comfortable around them."

Elias sighed. "I'll think about it," he repeated. "Okay?"

Mars slumped in her seat and nodded silently. When Elias casted a look her way, she was pouting.

He just shook his head.