16: Ray

SIXTEEN
Ray

That day wasn't a one time thing like Elias feared it would be.

Mars was talking to him normally now. He knew that it was likely considering they finally talked about it, but some part of him had still been scared he would somehow mess something up.

He got Mars to school early again, and she wouldn't stop talking about the upcoming spring break. She went on and on about the beach, even though the closest one was an hour away minimum. He hated driving for a long time.

He stopped by that café he always went to if he dropped Mars off early. It was a lot more empty this time around, only a few people scattered about and no one in line. The music they played was relaxing and didn't bother his semi-sleepy brain.

Elias took a seat after ordering, leaning his cheek against his palm. He was more tired than he usually was every morning; he blamed it on a show he got into. He stayed up an hour later than he usually did. A bad mistake on his part — he felt like he could easily fall asleep at the table.

Just as one of the workers called out his name, his phone started buzzing in his pocket. He pulled it out and frowned at the sight of Gale's name.

He answered as he grabbed his order, giving the person a grateful smile. "What's up?" he asked into the receiver, pushing the door open with his shoulder, getting blasted by the warmer air that settled over where they lived, the cold having left far too soon.

"You don't have to come in today," is what she greeted him with, sounding winded. He furrowed his brows. "Something came up, so I decided to close the place. I know it's last minute, and I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Elias responded, sliding into his car. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, yeah. Just — family issues."

Elias nodded slowly. "I see. I hope things get better. Take care, okay?"

"Thank you, sweetheart. I'll hopefully see you tomorrow. And you'll still get your pay," Gale told him. She sounded exhausted. Her usual boisterous tone wasn't present, so that pet name didn't feel as comforting as it always had. "Bye-bye."

"Bye."

She hung up, and Elias locked his doors, sipping from his coffee. Now he didn't know what to do. He could sleep, get a few more hours in, wake up. But that was what the coffee was for. He'd be awake in no time — once he got home, he wouldn't even be able to close his eyes. That was how it was every time.

He put the car in drive, humming to himself. Maybe he could treat himself to something. Today was a surprise free day, which was nice — well, kind of. He was worried about Gale, but he also liked that he had an extra day off. Anyone would.

His first thought was one about Roman. He wasn't sure why he was the first thing his mind went to, but Elias wasn't upset by it. He liked his company. However, Roman worked that day. At noon, sure, several hours away, but Elias didn't want to bother him.

What if he wanted to sleep in, too? Elias halted at a red light. Should he tell him that the diner was closed so he didn't waste his time?

He nodded to himself, making sure the light was still red before he texted him.

Elias -
Diner is closed today, so you don't have to come by

Roman -
Oh what happened??

Elias didn't answer until he got home. He hated texting while driving. Once Mars got her license in a few years, Elias hoped she wouldn't be one of those teenagers that were always on their phones, even while speeding. It was an accident waiting to happen. Especially in school parking lots.