9: Back to Earth

NINE
Back to Earth

After two weeks, Elias saw Roman's face for the first time since he came over to help when Mars was sick. He wasn't alone that time — he had Felix accompanying him, and while the latter offered up a friendly smile, Roman was avoiding eye contact at all costs.

"Been a while since I've seen you guys," Elias said as a greeting, casting a quick look to Roman. He hadn't looked at him once between walking in and sitting down. Were they back to square one?

"Yeah," Felix sighed, rubbing his forehead. "It's been a rough few weeks."

"Oh. All of you?"

"Kind of. The Anthonys went back home in Florida for something. They're family friends, known each other since birth, pretty much. Marco picked up more shifts. I've just been too tired to go anywhere except for work," Felix explained, and Elias believed him, because he looked exhausted. He wondered why he came if he was so tired. "Rome's in the same boat as me."

Elias nodded. "Yeah? I know what that's like. I hope you're doing better. Both of you."

"Also — Marco wanted to apologize," Felix said, sitting up straighter. Elias raised an eyebrow. "Someone scolded him about how he acts toward you. He hasn't had time to come by, but next time he does, he'll do it in person."

Elias chuckled quietly. "Was that someone you?" he mused, surprised when Felix shook his head and jerked his thumb toward Roman's slumped over form. "Oh, okay."

"Yeah — hey, can I get coffee this time?" Felix asked, then listed off what he wanted, and then what Roman wanted. He didn't write it down for him like he usually did. That proved further that there was something wrong.

Elias couldn't keep himself from stealing glances at Roman as he served others in the diner. He seemed to be lost in his own little universe, far more quiet than he used to be, which was really saying something.

There was an opportunity when Felix got up to go to the bathroom. Maybe Roman would feel more comfortable talking if it was just them. Elias quickly finished up, then made his way over, gently knocking his knuckles on the counter top.

Roman sat up in response, but still, he refused to make eye contact. "Roman?" When he remained quiet and still, Elias sighed. "You know, it'd be nice if you didn't ignore me when I'm right in front of you. I kind of already had to deal with that for two weeks, except I couldn't see you."

"I'm — "

"Stop. Don't apologize," Elias ordered firmly. Roman spared him a glance, so brief that if Elias blinked, he wouldn't have noticed. "I just want to know if you're okay. You're kinda worrying me here."

Roman opened his mouth, and Elias knew an apology was hanging off his tongue, because he shut his mouth within moments. "Can you look at me?" Elias inquired, leaning down to try and catch his gaze. He couldn't.

"You're treating me like a kid," Roman mumbled, quiet. Really quiet, because Elias almost didn't hear him.

Elias laughed. "Am I? I don't mean to. I just care."

"I...I don't like it. Just treat me normally."

"I will if you will." After a pause, he added, "Did I do something to make you upset with me?"

Roman frowned, finally meeting his eyes. "No. I'm not — " He stopped, flinching when he realized he raised his voice a bit. He shifted and put his head down, and Elias had an urge to pat his head. He didn't.

"You're not upset with me?" Roman nodded. "That's a relief. But why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm... not."