Chapter 12

Blyke stood in the centre of the corridor, blocking the pink haired boy off from charging at them. Several metres away behind him stood the crowd of students – forever watching.

"Alright, alright everyone!" Blyke ordered, silencing the noise. "That's enough." He waved his hand to the crowd to shoo. "Just go to class."

"Uhh, yessir!" the pink hair guy answered, sweat dripping down his cheek bone.

"Aw man, it was just getting good."

"Yeah, I wanted to see if she could put up a fight."

Then Blyke walked up to Seraphina and John with John now standing weakly.

"Uhh, Blyke!" the gren haired guy started. He turned towards the red head and led a bow with the blue haired guy. "Sorry! We didn't mean to get in your way."

"Yeah, whatever," Blyke replied, glaring down at the two. His eyebrows furrowed. "Get going."

"Okay, have a nice day!" he cried out as he clashed away.

Blyke turned to her. "Are you okay, Seraphina?"

"I'll be fine," she answered before bowing her head in dismay. "I'm not the one who was hurt."

Blyke glanced to the side of her where John stood.

"Blyke."

"Oh, yeah!" he responded, jumping in his skin.

"Thanks for stepping in."

Blyke went blood red in the face. "Noooo Problemo!" He waved both his hands frantically. "I was just passing by. No big deal. Anyway, I gotta head to class. I'll see you around!"

Blyke ran off – a smile on his face.

"Yeah."

Sera's eyes focused on her knees as she sat in the infirmary next to John's bed. He had a glass cup in his hand.

John protected me through all of that. He got me away from there; he took the laser beam in the back for me. And then he took the punch to the face.

I couldn't do anything!

She glanced back to where John sat in the infirmary bed, bruise swelling up his cheek, who stared down. Doc had taken away the cup from him.

"So, this is what you've bene trying to tell me," she stated.

John's bright gold eyes snapped to her. "Hm?"

"This is how it's really like to be ability-less. There's no way for me to defend myself, so the only choice is to run?"

"Yeah," he replied, clutching his arm. "Unless you're looking for a severe beating."

"Because of one simple bulletin posting, they all turned on me," she replied. "Just like that! Why?"

"Because they get a chance to feel powerful. They get a chance to defeat the undefeated." His eyes were turned down. "I've always been at the bottom, so I can empathise. Always getting beaten down; always taking hits; it suck. So, if I were given a opportunity to fight back, I would probably take it because I think to finally be able to take down people who were stronger than me would be satisfying."

Did John want to use his ability? Was that what he was saying? Speaking from the heart? So he couldn't use it? So Arlo did beat him up?

"From now on, you-." John started. Then his eyes glanced over to her, head turned down. "H-Hey! Cheer up! I know it's rough!" He threw off the covers off him and stood up in front of her. "But I'll be over soon!"