Chapter 5

John had slapped her.

What...? Why? Why would he do that to me? I thought we were friends.

"Sorry," he whispered. She let go of his wrist, which floated down to his side. "I thought you were someone else."

"Who?" she questioned, raising her eyebrow as she growled over her words.

"Huh?"

"Who did you think I was?" she exclaimed. She took a step back. "I'm your best friend. Why would you think I was someone else?"

"I..." Tears built up in his eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit you. You wouldn't let go of my wrist."

"And that's why you slapped?" Sera questioned.

Her parents had hit her. Hitting people was normal. Maybe if John felt threatened in the moment it would make sense. He just didn't realise it was her.

It still hurt though. That he forgot that it was her. What kind of friend was he?

Did it have to do with that 'trauma' from before?

"It's stupid. I'm sorry."

"You won't do it again, will you?" she asked.

"No, no, I won't." He didn't smile.

Her heart raced. Was he lying? She could never tell when he was lying. He had a perfect poker face.

It was terrifying.

But he wouldn't have meant it, would he? He was her best friend. Surely he wouldn't do that on purpose. He did say he thought she was someone else, but how was that possible?

"Are you okay?" he asked, resting a hand on her shoulder.

"My cheek hurts," she responded. She glared up at him.

"Do you want to go back to Doc?" he suggested, motioning back towards where they came. "So he can work something up to heal it."

"Yes." She smirked. "If you explain what you did to Doc."

John gulped.

She needed to look something up.

A/N: Shorter chapter, but it fitted in with the plot.