Chapter 4: The promise

Kyla POV:

I was awoken by the sound of my alarm clock going off on my bedside table.  "No, it's to early," I wined hitting the snooze button. I peeked out from under my pillow, which I had placed over my head to block out the sound of the alarm, and saw that it was already 11 o'clock. "Crap," I mumbled and shot out of bed. I took the quickest shower in the history of mankind and got dressed. I left my hair down after quickly combing trough it. I grabbed my phone and darted down the stairs. "Morning Kyla," Rita said as I hurried into the kitchen grabbing an apple as my breakfast. "MorningSorryI'mlateIhavetogo," I said so fast that Rita didn't understand what I said but I was out the door before she could ask.

~

I ran into into the Caffè out of breath. "Wow,  I'm out of shape," I mumbled to myself just as Carly yelled, "Kyla, where were you?! You're an hour late!" "Sorry, overslept," I said. Carly nodded and threw me my apron. I quickly put it on and went outside, notepad and pen in my hand. I spotted Cam and Zac sitting at one of the tables. 'I'm sure Carly wouldn't mind if I just said hi to them,' I thought and went over to them, just in time to hear Zac say, "...so you're still the only one who knows." "Knows what?" I asked, getting their attention. "That Zac is failing Math," Cam said quickly, earning a glare from Zac. I didn't buy it and they could see that so Zac quickly said, "You know what, we should probably get to the beach. Don't wanna be late." I raised my eyebrow at him but he just ignored it and left, Cam closely following. "That wasn't suspicious at all," I said sarcastically.

~

"Carly, I'm going to the beach for my brake! Don't wait up!" I yelled to Carly who wasn't standing so far from me. "I'm right here. You don't have to yell." I just shrugged and left, waving goodbye to Carly, who looked pretty annoyed at me. 'Aw well,' I thought and headed to the beach.When I got there, I let out a sigh of relief as the summer air blew onto my skin. I quickly spotted Zac, wiping of his board. "Hey Zac," I said when I reached him. "Oh, hey Kyla." "Why aren't you in the water. You usually love it," I asked, sitting down on a towel next to him. "Me and Cam made a deal. Him in the water and me on lookout," he explained. I shrugged and said,  "Okay then. You know what, I'm going to get something to eat. You want anything?" "No thanks," he replied.  "Soot yourself."

~

As soon as I was done eating, I went back to the beach only to see three people who looked like my former best friends. 'That can't be them. My mind is playing tricks' I thought. My thoughts we're interrupted by the watchtower falling over but Zac got out just in time. But then I saw were Zac was going, there was a little girl beginning to drown. Zac raced trough the water and got to the girl in no time. And I don't know how but I heard what the girl said, " You're a fish." My eyes widened. 'Oh no. Oh please God no' I kept thinking but stopped as soon as Zac dived underwater and I saw his tale. 'Oh God!' "What's going on?" Cam asked as he reached the girl and her mother.  "That lifesaver rescued my little girl," the woman said. "He did what?" Cam asked confused, looking around, probably for Zac. 'He knew' I made my way to Cam. "How long did you know?" I asked him. "What are you-" I cut him off.  "Oh, don't play dumb with me! I saw his tale!" I whispered/shouted the last part. "I-" Cam was cut off by the woman saying, "There he is!" Me and Cam turned to face Zac. "He's a fish. He had a tail," the little girl said. "No, I just swim really fast," Zac covered up. I gave him a 'yeah sure' look and he looked confused. "Thank you so much," the woman said gratefully. "You went in the water," Cam said but it sounded more like a question. "You better get that ice where it's needed," Zac said with a smile and Cam did as he said. "Zac, I need to talk to you," I said, getting his attention before dragging him away. "What's up?" he asked me casually as soon as we were out of hearing distance. "How long Zac?" I asked him which made him look at me with a confused face so I decided to explain. "How long have you had a tail?" "What are you-" "Don't lie to me Zac," I pleaded. He sighed and said, "Since the day I left Mako." " Why did you tell Cam but not me? You're my best friend Zac," I said, feeling my eyes starting to sting which meant that tears were threatening to spill. He just looked down. "Oh, I get it. You don't trust me," I said feeling a little hurt. "No, it's not that-" "Then what is it?" "I was afraid you'll think of me as a freak and I'd lose you as a friend," he said, not looking at me. "Zac, nothing that you do or say is going to change how I feel about you," I said with a small smile. He then looked up and couldn't help but smile back. "Thank you Kyla," he said. "For what?" I asked. "For always being there for me." I smiled then asked, "Can you promise me something?" "Sure anything." "Promise me that we'll always be friends,  no matter what happens," I said, holding out my pinkie. "I promise," he said, intertwining our pinkies. "Come on, I have to get back to work and so do you," I said, which made him sigh. "Yeah, you're probably right." We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.
'Hopefully, that dream doesn't come true'