Chapter 1: Banished

Kyla's POV:

The blue ocean water was crystal clear. Every sea creature that swam by looked at peace, that is, until they saw me. Everyone knew I would cause trouble, especially when I had a smirk on my face, which I currently did as I looked at my best friend Sirena. She peacefully drifted on top of the water, humming a small tune as she looked up at the sky. I silently swam up towards her, making sure that she won't see me. Once I was close enough, I gained speed and jumped out of the water and over Sirena. She let out a shriek of surprise, startled by my presence. I resurfaced and looked at her startled form, bursting into laughter as I did. Sirena had her hand over her heart and she was taking deep breaths. "Kyla, you...almost...gave...me...a heart attack," Sirena said between breaths. "That was the idea," I said, still laughing. "It's not funny!" she exclaimed. I held up my index finger to show her to give me a minute. I took deep breaths to try and calm myself, only to start giggling, causing Sirena to roll her eyes at me. Once I had managed to fully calm myself down, I looked at Sirena who had her arms crossed over her chest. "You done?" she asked unimpressed. "For now," I said and placed my signature smirk on my face. "Let's just get back to Mako before Lyla gives us one of her speeches," Sirena said and dove under water. "Great. I love her silly little lectures," I said sarcastically then went after Sirena. I went to swim beside her and gestured forward with my hands. She nodded her head, knowing what I meant. I counted to three with my fingers then looked in front of me, swimming at full speed. Sirena was soon beside me once again. We were neck in neck as we raced to Mako. Once we were almost at the Moon Pool, I put more power into my swimming, soon pulling ahead of Sirena. I quickly swam into the entrance and surfaced, Sirena soon following. "Yes! I am victorious once again!" I cheered, causing Sirena to giggle from beside me. "Where have you been", I heard Lyla's voice from behind me. I let out a sigh then turned around to face her. "Lyla, so good to see you again," I exclaimed with fake cheerfulness. "Answer the question," she demanded through clenched teeth. "We were just out on the reef for a little bit," I said innocently. "Doing what exactly?" She crossed her arms over her chest and examined me. "Enjoying our time away from you," I said, growing more irritated with every word she said. Fury burned in her eyes at my words. "You can't speak to me that way," she said. "I will. You know why? Because you're not the boss of me!" I yelled in her face. "Guys, please don't fight", Sirena pleaded but I paid no attention to her. Lyla was about to say something but before she could, Nixie entered the Moon Pool. "Hey, what's going on here?", she asked, looking between me and Lyla. "Nothing", I said through clenched teeth, anger still bubbling inside me. Lyla still glared at me but I ignored it as I dove under water and swam out of the Moon Pool. I needed to calm myself down and I knew just where to go for that. It was about time I visited Rita anyway.

Maya's POV:

I swam near the ocean floor, searching for shells that we could use in our rituals when I saw a shadow on the ocean floor. I looked up and saw Kyla swimming out of the Moon Pool entrance, anger clearly visible on her facial expression and her movements. I raised an eyebrow at the direction she was swimming, then decided to follow her, knowing her history of causing trouble. I swam a distance away from her so she wouldn't see me but made sure I didn't lose her. And every time she would turn around, I would use my cloaking ability to hide myself. After a while of swimming we were getting close to land. The nervousness started to build up inside me but I was determined to find out what Kyla was up to. We swam on until the land was clearly visible. Instead of turning around, Kyla swam into an underwater cave. I hesitated before I looked around quickly to see if anyone was watching, then I swam in after Kyla. The tunnel came to a end exempt for the top. I surfaced then looked around at my new surroundings. There was a room filled with stuff a mermaid would need, from medicines to shells to types of seaweed. I raised a questioning brow at the room. Who owned all this stuff? "Hey, Rita," I heard Kyla's voice. "Kyla, what a pleasant surprise! What are you doing here?" an unknown female voice asked. "Just needed some time to cool off," Kyla replied. She then walked into my line of view. A gasp escaped my lips at what I saw. Kyla walked around on land with...LEGS! She must have heard me gasp because she looked in my direction with wide eyes. "Maya, please let me explain-" she began but I had dove under water before she could continue. I had to tell the council!

Kyla's POV:

I heard a gasp come from an unknown source but when I turned towards the secret entrance, my eyes widened as I saw a shocked Maya. "Maya, please let me explain-" I pleaded but stopped when she dove under water. I started to panic when I realized that she was going to tell the pod. Without even saying anything to Rita, I ran to the secret entrance and dove into the water. I swam as fast as I could towards Mako, my heart pounding inside my chest.

I surfaced in the Moon Pool and hurriedly looked around for Maya but was only met with a worried Nixie and Sirena. "Kyla, what's wrong?" Sirena asked concerned. Before I could answer, Maya surfaced behind me. I quickly turned around and was about to say something but she cut in, "The council would like to see you." Without another word, she went under water once again. I looked worriedly at Sirena and Nixie before going after Maya

"Kyla, you have been accused of being seen on land. Do you deny this accusation?" the head of the council asked me. I looked towards Maya who was looking at me with her arms crossed over her chest. "No your honor. I don't," I said and bowed my head in shame. "Kyla, you have stood before us many times before but this is unforgivable," said another council member. "I know," I confirmed. "Well, since you like being on land so much, we have no other choice. You are here by banished to live on land, never to return to Mako or out pod." My eyes widened. "But I didn't really do anything wrong," I defended. "We don't want to hear it," the head of the council said. "Nobody knows that I'm a mermaid," I continued. "You've already said enough," she said. "Nobody even saw me except for Rita and she's also a mermaid who was outcast by her pod," I went on. "Enough!" the head of the council yelled. "You were still on land which is strictly forbidden!" she declared. I turned to Nixie and Sirena who were only a few feet away from me. "You two are on my side aren't you?" I asked them but they only looked down. "Aren't you?!" I asked again, raising my voice. "I'm sorry Kyla, but we can't go against the council," Nixie said. "Not even for your best friend?!" I yelled, anger bubbling inside me. They didn't say anything and still refused to make eye contact with me. I turned back to everyone. "Fine. If nobody wants me here, I guess there's no point in staying," I said. "Kyla-" I heard Sirena say softly but I stopped her. "Don't. Some friends, huh?" I snapped at them before diving under water and swimming towards Rita's. It was now the only place I was welcome.

A/N:
The first chapter is edited!
Please let me know what you think, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks for being patient...
Love ya!!!