Chapter 2: The Dream

Kyla's POV: (1 Year later)

It's been a year since that day. Can't believe it actually. A whole year since my friends abandoned me and my pod banished me. But I think that was the best thing that's happened to me. Since I came to live on land, Rita took me in without any hesitation. She taught me about land-school and how things worked in the human world. I caught on pretty quick and after about a month, I started land-school at Suncoast High. Since then I've been a strait A student. I had met Zac, Cam, Evie and Carly on my first day and we're pretty much inseparable. After about two weeks, Carly suggested I work at the Ocean Cafe with her to earn money and I happily accepted. I've kept my secret well over the past time and only Rita knows. And to think, all this happened because I was caught. I should actually thank Nixie and Sirena for abandoning me but I won't. If I ever saw them, they better watch out.

~¤~

The sun was slowly dipping down behind the horizon as I wiped another table clean. "Well, I'm done for the day," Carly stated as she took of her apron and hung it behind the counter. "You can't just leave me here! I'm already bored out of my mind," I wined. "You're just gonna have to manage. Lock up when you're done," she said and through me the keys to the cafe. I easily caught them. "Fine but if this place burns down, you're gonna be held responsible. Everyone knows I can't be trusted," I said playfully as I pointed an accusing finger at her. She rolled her eyes with a light chuckle. "Goodnight Kyla," she said and walked out the doors. I turned around to examine the cafe to see how many tables were left. I groaned as I saw multiple tables that still need cleaning and there were also allot of chairs that need to be put on the tables. "What a friend," I said sarcastically as I went to clear out the tables.

Once I had finally finished, I stepped out into the crisp night air. I made sure to lock the doors behind me, before I walked to the railings to looked at the crashing waves down at the beach. I then looked up at the night sky and saw the beautiful white full moon shining down on the earth. The pod were probably doing their Full Moon rituals by now. I sighed as I thought about the pod. I had to admit that I missed it. Missed being around people who knew what I really was and who understood it. Missed the ocean. Sure I went swimming now and then but for some reason, it never felt the same. I missed racing with Nixie, singing with Sirena and Aquata, training hard to earn my Moon Ring. And I missed Mako, the strange and mysterious island. And the ironic thing was that Zac and Cam were camping there for two days. A dampness on my cheeks brought me out of my train of thoughts. I brought up my hand to my cheek to feel tears running down it. I hadn't even realized that I had began crying. I shook my head in an attempt to clear my head of the troubling thoughts. Why was I crying about this now. I looked up at the moon once more before I began walking towards Rita's. While I was walking, still deep in thought, a wave energy seemed to surge through the air, blowing my hair back. I got a terrible feeling in my gut and I immediately knew it had something to do with Mako. What else could have caused something like that? I looked in the direction of Mako island. Please be safe Zac. I can't loose you too.

I finally made it to the house after a bit of walking. Once I walked through the door, I was met with Rita who sat on the couch. "Did you feel it?" I asked her, earning her attention. "Feel what?" she asked, raising a confused eyebrow. "The energy. Didn't you feel it?" She just shook her head. "I was probably just imagining it then," I said, actually trying to convince myself that is was my imagination but failed. "Goodnight Rita." I began to walk up the stairs to my room. "Goodnight Kyla," she called after me. Once I had entered my room, I closed the door behind me and flopped down onto my bed. I didn't even bother to change because I was to drained of energy. After awhile, I drifted into a deep sleep.

DREAM
Darkness. That was the only thing that engulfed my vision. Everything was silent, except for a voice that whispered in the distance. Seeing no other option, I began to walk towards the sound. "Hello?" I called out into the darkness, only for my voice to echo then disappear into the silence. The voice had stopped. "Is anyone there?" I asked, my voice echoing once more. The voice had returned but instead pf whispering, it was now letting out a menacing laugh. The laugh started to echo all around me so I couldn't make out were it was coming from anymore. A ringing started in my ears, making me scream out in pain as it made my head ache. I fell to the ground and my hands shot up to my ears in a attempt to block out the noise. The ringing slowly started to disappear as the scene around me started to change. I now felt sand beneath me, not the cold black ground that I was on only a moment ago. I squinted my eyes at the new found light that made my eyes sting. Once my eyes had adjusted, I saw that the source of the light was a full moon that hung in the sky. I stood up and dusted myself off, then examined my new surroundings. I was on the beach but there was something different. The night wasn't as peaceful as I was use to. The night sky, that was usually filled with thousands of stars, didn't hold a single star. The full moon that lit up the night, that usually held a beautiful glow, now had a menacing feel to it that I couldn't place. The ocean, that was usually a beautiful clear blue, now looked as if it was made up of mucky oil and a eerie fog danced over its waters. "Hello?" I called out again. I heard the menacing laugh once more but this time it sounded familiar but I couldn't put it with a face. I looked in the direction of the laugh and saw that the fog had parted, revealing Zac floating just above the water. "Zac?" I asked confused. What was he doing here? I shivered when I felt a cold wind blow onto my skin. There was something else here. I needed to get Zac out of here! "Zac!" I yelled as I began to run towards him, not even realizing that I was floating above the water as well. "Zac, you need to get out of here!" I yelled to him but he didn't move. I willed my feet to go faster but it felt like I wasn't moving. "Zac!" I yelled again but when I reached him, there seemed to be an invisible wall that wouldn't let me reach him. He held a menacing smile on his face, as if he was enjoying all of this. "Zac?" I asked. "Goodbye Kyla," he said and let out another menacing laugh. I started to back away from him, only to fall into the ocean water. I gained my tale from coming in contact with water. When I looked in front of me, my eyes widened. Zac was in front of me with a blue tale instead of legs, Trident in hand. Rita had only told me legends about this mystical object. In one of the legends it said that if the Trident was taken into the Moon Pool on the night of a full moon, it would destroy the Moon Pool and the source of all our powers. Without even glancing at me, Zac turned and swam in the direction of Mako. I instantly knew what he was doing and quickly swam after him. When I reached Mako, I immediately swam into the Moon Pool but I was too late. Zac held the Trident high, lighting shooting out from the blue stone in its center. "Zac! No!" I screamed.
END-OF-DREAM

I shot up in my bed, my breath heavy and my forehead damp from the cold sweat. My eyes shot around my room, expecting the dream to ve real and for me to be in the Moon Pool but I only saw my plain bedroom that I had fallen asleep in. A sigh passed my lips as I flopped back down onto my pillow. "It was just a dream Kyla," I whispered to myself but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was a dream that was about to come true. My mind wandered back to the wave of energy from earlier. Maybe...no. Don't stress yourself out more than you need to. I ended up staring blankly at my white ceiling, my mind wandering from one thought to another 'till my eyes started to grow heavy. I gave into the tiredness and drifted into a deep sleep once more.