Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

After a few days to settle in, I got the number from Hannah and phoned my father. The conversation was stilted but we arranged to meet on Friday, at a coffee shop in central London.

I was nervous and stopped in to a paper shop for some mints on my way, which was when I saw the headline on Hot Magazine.

‘The Bedroom Secrets of Tom Hiddlestone’s New Love’ it proclaimed.

What the fuck? How did they know my bedroom secrets?

I bought a copy, thankful that my picture wasn’t on the front, then I rolled it up and shoved it deep into bag.

My Dad was waiting when I arrived and despite not having seen him for seven years, since Hannah’s wedding, I recognised him immediately. He stood up and greeted me with a kiss on my cheek. We chatted about nothing much for a while, until I asked what I really needed to know.

“So, what brought on this burst of paternal affection?”

“Oh, I don’t know. I guess when Mary showed me your picture, it just… made me miss you. Want to reach out to you. I hope it’s not too late.”

“Who’s Mary?”

“My girlfriend,” he smiled. “You’ve met her, haven’t you?”

“I don’t think so, unless you brought her to Hannah’s wedding.”

“No, we met after that.”

“Then I can't have met her.”

“I haven’t seen you since then? Really?”

Obviously I wasn’t memorable enough for him to pay much mind to our last meeting. Still, he must have a picture or two of me around for his perfect stranger of a wife to recognise me.

“Well, you must, she’s lovely. Maybe we could both go out as couples, what do they call it, double dating?”

“Something like that.” My heart was sinking at the mention of Tom and double dating so soon.

“So, how long have you and Tom been seeing each other?”

“Didn’t Mary tell you?”

He blushed. “I don’t put much stock in those rags.”

“Since about January,” I admitted.

“And it’s going well, is it? Han said you were travelling with his movie.”

“It’s early days but yeah, it’s going well. He’s asked me to move in, actually.”

I don’t know why I said it, or what made me say it. I suppose it had been at the forefront of my mind since Tom had mentioned it.

Dad’s face lit up. “That’s great news, hun. You must really like him.”

I considered denying, telling him I hadn’t given my answer, but I didn’t.

“When is he back?” Dad asked.

“Oh,” I had to stop and think for a moment. “About two weeks. Why?”

“Just thinking when we can all get together, that’s all.”

“I can meet Mary any time,” I bristled slightly, as I was getting the impression that I alone wasn’t good enough.

“Oh, yeah, of course. I just didn’t want you to feel like a third wheel.”

“I’m a big girl now, Dad, I have a mortgage and everything. I think I can handle dinner with my step mum.”