Chapter Five

Chapter Five

When Tom returned, I was pleased to have him back, and to be back in our own city. We were more relaxed in London but of course, that had a price, and the odd picture of us began appearing online. They didn’t have a huge impact, no one seemed to recognise me and because we weren’t holding hands or kissing in public, while there was speculation, there was no outrage. Okay, some people fought over whether I was a girlfriend or a friend, but their venom seemed reserved for each other and I was largely ignored.

Our first big event together was the Avengers premier. Tom couldn’t talk about his role on the red carpet (he didn’t have a huge part in the film and it was supposed to have been kept secret) but he went along because he was a part of his franchise and obviously, the press wanted to talk to him, even if he wasn’t in the film much.

I’d forgone most of Tom’s public appearances, such as the BAFTAs, because there were camera’s inside the event, as well as on the red carpet. Also at that time, I didn’t exactly have an awards worthy dress and I was embarrassed over the possibility of looking out of place. He was fine with me not going, we’d only been dating for a matter of weeks. Perhaps if Tom had been nominated for an award, I would have accompanied him, but he wasn’t.

I had however, been to one other premier in London with him, so I was familiar with the format. I arrived first and headed straight inside. I had to admit, I felt a twinge of regret that all these photographers were ignoring me, because my dress was stunning and made me look like a glamorous movie star from the golden age of cinema. I didn’t know for sure because Tom wouldn’t tell me, but I had a feeling it had cost him a small fortune, and I felt a bit bad that it was wasted on little old me.

Still, over all, I was happy to forgo the media attention, especially when a few fans who were cueing began to shout out things, asking if I was a friend of Tom’s.

Now I know it may have looked rude as hell, but that totally freaked me out. I mean, I had spent the afternoon at the hairdressers, having my hair and makeup professionally done, like a bride or something, so looked totally different from the few phone snaps that had appeared online. These girls must have really studied me to be able to recognise me under what felt like half a ton of makeup.

 So I blanked them, pretending that I hadn’t heard. Maybe they would think they had been mistaken.

Once inside, I was directed to the bar and I ordered a glass of red wine, then looked around. I had met a couple of Tom’s acting friends, I’d even been out to dinner with some couples, but there was no one I recognised. Anyone who was famous would no doubt be stopping on the red carpet for pictures and interviews, so instead I browed the movie posters that were framed on the walls, essentially a history of the biggest and best movies the cinema had played host to over the years.

After tonight we were going on a whirlwind tour of the world, a few days here and there, culminating in the LA premier. I felt a little odd accompanying Tom but he really wanted me with him and I had to admit, thanks to the movie people organising photo ops and the like in various countries, it was an easy way to see some of the world’s most famous places.

After that, we were having a holiday, two weeks, on one of the Tahitian islands, Tom’s treat as a thank you for accompanying him, and he assured me that it was, and I quote, ‘to die for’.

I was all packed and tomorrow morning, we were off to France, then Germany, Rome, and Russia. After that the group was splitting up and Tom and Chris were going to China, South Korea, Australia, and finally meeting back up with the rest of the cast in LA.

All in all I’d be away for a month, so I’d been taking on more work than usual recently, to make up for the break. I could theoretically work while we were away, especially once on the island, but I really wanted a holiday and during the tour beforehand, I couldn’t say how much or how little time I would have to work. I had a couple of longer term projects I could work on, but I wasn’t counting on being able to.