14. Listen

We walked outside and went down to the beach. The sun was beginning to set and we stopped so I could remove my shoes and walk freely in the sand. The perfectly white sand was so soft under my feet, and I relished in its enveloping warmth. As we headed to the water, Darren kept a firm grip on my hand, never letting me falter and making sure I stayed at his side.

I decided I should try to leave what had just happened back at the house and attempt to enjoy something for once. I didn't want my attitude to ruin things for me again.

Reaching the shore, I couldn't help but feel compelled to put my feet in the crystal blue water, and I was a little surprised when Darren let go of my hand to let me. The water felt cool and refreshing as it splashed over my bare feet. I suddenly had the urge to go swimming, but I didn't think Darren would allow it.

I turned back around to face him, unable to contain my smile, and found him staring down at me, his hands in his pockets and a slight smirk on his face. The look he displayed made me uncomfortable as it softened with what I thought might have been something like adoration.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing." He grinned, shrugging his shoulders. "You're just so cute when you're not pissing me off."

I scoffed at that. "Cute? Me? I don't think so."

Cute? Pfft. My ass.

"Baby tiger cute," he said with that shark grin.

"More like full grown tiger cute," I countered.

"You'd have to be full grown for that." He laughed.

"I am full grown!" I defended myself.

"Are you sure? I think you may have gotten the short end of the stick." He winked at me.

My jaw nearly hit the sand. Was he calling me short?!

"Well, maybe someone else cheated and double dipped," I shot back and walked off down the shore.

I could hear him laughing behind me as he caught up to my pace.

"Calm down, killer." He chuckled. "I didn't say it was a bad thing that you're short."

"I am not short," I corrected. "I'm just an inch or two below average female height."

"Relax. I like that you're short. It just makes you cuter."

I scowled at him in disgust, releasing an agitated grown. Why were we even having this irrelevant conversation?

"I am not cute," I said quietly under my breath.

He chuckled, taking my hand again, and we continued down the beach toward the sunset while I kept my feet in reach of the water. And then I wondered with his new sense of calm if now would be a good time for a little family history.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked him softly, hoping he would sense the innocence in my voice.

"Of course," he replied cautiously. "But I can't guarantee I'll answer it."

I paused for a moment, hoping he would notice my trepidation.

"What was your childhood like?"

He was silent for a minute, surprised by my question, and I was sure he was calculating his answer. He said he would never lie to me, so I waited patiently for his impending truth.

"Let's just say there wasn't much time for me to be a child," he said plainly.

"Why?"

"Because my father didn't have time for children, and with my mother gone, he decided it was time to raise a man, not a boy."